internet on mdk thru XP

ab2ms

Here's the scenario...... until I shell out $$$$$ for a satellite connection I am stuck with dialup. My "other half" has an XP machine on dialup thru a USB modem :cry: . That computer as well as my 9.1 box have ethernet cards and I have a hub to get them to talk. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way for my linux box to get to the internet thru the XP machine? I do most of my downloading here at work, but it would be handy to at least get my e-mail at home, but not sure how to set it up.

I'd be starting entirely from scratch, they aren't currently networked at all.

Thanx in advance..........

This is going to be a really stupid question...(with several parts)

If your other half is not on line or even on the computer, do you really want to:

1) start the better half's machine

2) Dial up and log in (assuming you have the necessary ID and password)

3) Go back to your machine, open a network connection

4) get your e-mail yadda, yadda, yadda

then have to shut it all down when you finish?

(I would also think if you are both on-line via dial up, bandwidth is going to be really tight).

Just borrow the modem if it's not being used.

Cable was too expensive ($60/mo) we canceled when COMCRAP raised prices

DSL (SBC-Yahoo) isn't too bad, we have 384K service can't get any higher ($35/mo)

Cable/DSL and I assume also with satellite, a simple DSL/Cable router is all you need to allow you both to be on-line at the same time. (and some CAT5 cable, set up was easy, followed Syslink instructions up in 30min).

I know nothing about doing LAN between computers...

Typically when I get home, she is on and my main objective is email.

right now she is signed up for a proprietary dialup service, or I could get on thru linux, but it has to be accessed thru their software (windoze only)

for bandwidth I use work's connection, but I just want email at home on my own computer, and to access this forum. I'll look into better alternatives, but with a LAN possibility I figured it would be a temporary option.

Why don't you enable internet connection sharing (ICS) on the Windows box? Since you and your "other half" are ethernet connected (can we say it?) I don't see why it wouldn't work. Well, if your "other half" run Win XP home then I doubt it but with XP Pro the ICS wizard works just right.

MOttS

It is XP pro, connection sharing is something I tried, but should my machine "see" hers as a proxy? or what?

Yes I realize that is a "windows" question, but I want email on my linux box :cry:

will .........keep .........tryin' .........8)

It is XP pro, connection sharing is something I tried, but should my machine "see" hers as a proxy? or what?  

Yes I realize that is a "windows" question, but I want email on my linux box :cry:    

will .........keep .........tryin' .........8)

Humm.. you have to set your WinXP box as a gateway (probably 192.168.1.1) and tell your Mandrake box to connect to it. You'll see those settings in the MCC->Network&Internet I guess. But proxy stuff isn't required here I promess...

MOttS

Typically when I get home, she is on and my main objective is email.

right now she is signed up for a proprietary dialup service, or I could get on thru linux, but it has to be accessed thru their software (windoze only)

for bandwidth I use work's connection, but I just want email at home on my own computer, and to access this forum. I'll look into better alternatives, but with a LAN possibility I figured it would be a temporary option.

Told you my question was stupid. My wife was just the opposite until we got broadband.

Ok ... thanks fort the suggestions, going home early, so I will actually have time to mess around with that stuff...... will see what happens

not fun leaving this broadband connection I'm on here at work............. :evil:

I'm posting from Mozilla on Win98 with an opposite setup with ML9.1 as the gateway. Since XP will be your gateway, this will not effect you, but configuring your firewall may be fun.

I thought I'd mention this for future reference and others. The following was my prob on Win98 and I d/k if it's the case with XP. ICS configures the browsers to use a proxy. As Motts stated, it is not....can be in diff circumstances but not in a simple/normal setup. So I basically had to skip the floppy setup browser step and make sure that NOTHING was checked in Internet Options>Connections>LAN Settings.

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/...n98se/intro.htm

A little how to for ya

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharin...p_ics/index.htm

(specially http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharin...rverdialup.htm)

Windows XP will be the gateway at 192.168.0.1. Just tell your Mandrake box to connect to this gateway. The Win XP box should gives you an IP (via the dhcp server) in the 192.168.0.x range. I did this about 2 years ago. Now this Win XP box has been replaced by Mandrake 9.0... but the principle is the same (NAT, DHCP, etc..)

MOttS