wget funny

isamu

Yo there people how are ya doing, Im writing this ; I just upgraded [fresh install] to mdv 2009.0 64 and try to use wget with the next syntax

wget --http-user=me --http-password=whoknows -i /there/was/my/download/file.csv

and then what , the wget refuses to download with the right user/psw string , verify the existence of the files, check 1000s times the spelling of it, and the right syntax [of course man wget], so I down the wget 1.9 and try this and went well, [the only hack its the passwd instead of password in syntax =p)

but then what I would prefer to use a wget a little more updated , dont know if this is a bug, or whatever,, so anyonw knows the version of wget used in 2008.1? and by the way the version used in 2009.0? I just delete with rpm -e wget and forgot to check the version. :wall: :wall:

Thanks in advance :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

You could do:

urpmq -i wget

and it should give you the info you need for versioning. However, I'm assuming you gave wget the correct url since above only shows directory path and not ip address or dns domain name of the server to connect and download the file. I used wget in 2009.0 and it works fine. I'm sure it does in 2008.1 too providing the syntax was correct.

I'm using 2008.1, the version of wget here is 1.11:

$ wget --version
GNU Wget 1.11

and the package name is

$ urpmq -i wget
Name		: wget
Version	 : 1.11
Release	 : 1mdv2008.1

According to the repositories, the version for 2009.0 is "wget-1.11.4-1mdv2009.0.i586.rpm" which is almost certainly the same version, just recompiled. Applications like wget are pretty stable so shouldn't change much between releases. I'm not sure where you got version 1.9 from, or why. But it sounds like it's old.

But yeah, wget works fine in 2008.1, even with the -i parameter (which I've not used before, but I tried it and it works). I haven't tried the username and password business though, because I don't have any websites for which I need those, so I can't test it.

I assume the problem is not with wget, but rather either your username/password combo is wrong, or the contents of your file.csv (why on earth is it a csv? csv means comma-separated, you just want a list of urls, one per line!)

Whoah!!! thanks ianw1974 and needie thats support and thanks for check this, explicit im a fan of downloading from certains servers where i must provide an user pass but my combo its right and in fact to avoid misspeled links I use a generated list [exported as csv but then edited for me with gedit to plain text, so csv its only that three letters].

The wget1.9 i got from the gnu ftp [i did it half sleep and didnt notice it were newer releases =3] im gonna try downloading wirh urpmi to see what happens.

Thanks brothers.

Edited by isamu