home networking

Guest FenestraeNunquam

Guest FenestraeNunquam

I hate to ask this here, but here goes:

First the facts: I have a DSL modem and a router. A win2k box is connected to the router, and also my old win98/mandrake 9.0 dual boot box is connected to the router. And my wife's computer is connected to the router - but we don't care about that here...

Both of my boxes work Ok, and internet access works fine on both. What I want to do is get a bunch of crap (mostly a Gb or 2 of mp3s) off of my win98 box and onto my win2k box. THEN I can finally get rid of win98 off of my old box and make it ALL mandrake 9.1.

I'm pretty excited about getting back into learning linux - I messed around with mandrake 8.1 & 9.0 for a few months, but my linux box has been disconnected for a while now... Today I finally bought a used monitor and a Cat5 cable and got it hooked back up.

Anyway, to my question - what's the easiest way to get the files from my old win98 box to my win2k box? I thought if both boxes were connected to the router, I could "drag & drop" between the boxes.... guess not. Do I need to go thru the "file sharing" config under windoze. Since I'm a total noob on networking & that stuff, I don't really want to set my boxes to "allow file sharing....". And if I do have to do that, will I be protected from the internet having access to my files...?

Anyway, any tips appreciated. Sorry for the windoze question, but the result will be getting rid of win98 & making the box ALL mandrake...

Then I can just ask mandrake questions here.... :lol:

Yes, networking!!

I set up shares on xppro in my home network, but I also have personal firewalls running that limit access. windex warns that internal shares might be accessable from the internet!!!

Your safest windows box is w2k. Share the win98 box and then tag it from the w2k box. Do your transfers from the w2k box, and then turn off the share. You only need to share the one box, and you'll be fine behind the router for the short stint that your working.

Guest FenestraeNunquam

ok, thanks. The guy who set up my DSL connection & router told me yesterday to do it from my win98 box, but as you said, I'd rather do it from my win2k box.

Yes, as soon as I copy all the mp3s & whatever else over to my win2k box, I will be though with the win98 portion of my old dual-boot box and I can just remove it.

What we do on our house network is as follows:

Set the folder you with the MP3s as shared to all users with full permissions (not normally a good idea but as its only tempory its not really a problem). Then onthe other machine browse through network neighbourhood to find the newly shared diretory and copy the files over. File sharing only really needs to be active on the the machine sharing the files.

Guest FenestraeNunquam

I still haven't gotten around to doing this. I've been busy with some college courses I'm taking.

Anyway, although I have 2 windoze boxes connected to a router, its not just a simple matter of "sharing" my win98 box and accessing it from my win2k box. My win2k box doesn't "see" the other one.

There must be something else to be done...? Do I have to set-up ms networking or something, or what about binding any protocols, or anything else like that ?

As I've mentioned before, I don't really want to learn alot about win2k, I just need to use it on a daily basis for school work. The only learning I want to do is on my old win98/mandrake box when I make it all linux.

Guest FenestraeNunquam

ok, I got my old win98 box and my win2k box networked together finally. Working good, and I'm getting a couple of gigs of mp3s off of my win98 box and onto my win2k box.

Then, next step... re-install mandrake 9.0 power pack on my old box, and no more win98 !!! :D

When I re-install mandrake on my old box (currently is a dual-boot with win98) will it give me the option of getting rid of win98? Or will I have to remove windoze first before I reinstall mandrake ?

thanks

Use expert mode for the installation. When it asks for partition setup, just delete the win98 partitions and create yours how you want them. Pretty easy. Make sure you format them, though, and I've heard to format them more than once, just to be safe.