Hotmail doesn't work any more [solved]

neddie

OK, so I know most of you probably don't use hotmail, but I've had an address there since before it was owned by MS and it's kinda useful for some things. It's kinda handy to still have the same email address for so long as my other addresses change so often. But anyway, I've got one and it has worked for ever with any browser. Until this week.

This week they changed the interface and how it looks. Now I can log in with Firefox 2 but can't write any messages or reply to messages - I can't type anything into the message window. Some other people are having the same problem here: http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum...0&forumId=1 but no answers. I also tried Konqueror but with that I couldn't even read messages, let alone reply to any.

So I know the obvious answer is just to change email providers, but if there's a simple solution to get hotmail working again it might be nice... any ideas?

Edited by neddie

OK, so maybe I just need to upgrade to Firefox3. But on that other link there are lots of people complaining that FF3 doesn't work either, or Opera, just IE.

Maybe your accounts haven't been upgraded to the new look'n'feel? Do they look any different from how they looked last week?

Maybe your accounts haven't been upgraded to the new look'n'feel? Do they look any different from how they looked last week?

Mine certainly looks different than last time I saw it, don't know about last week though, I haven't actually visited the site for some years.

I just tested my account as yours it's from way back when. There is a page asking me to upgrade but I just disregard it and all works well enough.
Yeah, I had that page for a while now. It said I should upgrade my browser, as some things may not display correctly. So obviously I ignored it and it worked fine for a few weeks. Then just a couple of days ago the whole look changed and now it doesn't work any more (also tried Opera, same result).

This is how the compose message pane now looks like for me: I can type in a To: address, I can type in a subject, but there's a greyed out toolbar and a blank space below that, and I can't type in any message at all.post-10937-1225620289_thumb.png

I always get the question saying I should upgrade my browser, but I have the latest Firefox :huh:

Another Microsoft ploy of forcing the browser market I think. I also cannot reply to emails in hotmail now either, with Firefox or Opera. I can't even revert back since they changed the bloody interface - there's no option to go back, but I never accepted their new version. It was just forced upon - as usual with Microsoft.

I'll be dropping hotmail, as I don't use it much anyway. Complete waste of space.

Perhaps, the right thing would be to complain to Hotmail customer service. Even though you don't pay for the account, you entered in a contract with them by opening an account. Unlikely, this will go further than polite suggesting that you should have used the MSIE to access that service, but it is better than just walking away without letting them know about the compatibility issues.