Can I get scanned for files?

kilimanjaro

I am running guarddog and gtk-gnutella, and I was wondering if the record companies could still scan my computer to see how many items of copyrighted materail I could possibly be sharing? Supposedly my computer is invisable, I went to a web site that scans for ports. How vulnerable am I? And isn't it illegal for them to scan for that information?

I am running guarddog and gtk-gnutella, and I was wondering if the record companies could still scan my computer to see how many items of copyrighted materail I could possibly be sharing?  Supposedly my computer is invisable, I went to a web site that scans for ports.  How vulnerable am I? 

I suppose you have been at those places. If you are completely STEALTH from the internet then you are not vulnerable at all. Sleep easy man!

And isn't it illegal for them to scan for that information?

I have no idea here. But if I get your IP and find an open port and exploit that port (like Windows file sharing .. good old port 139), is this illegal? This is exactly what they do actually .. so I don't think this is legal. Whatever .. you are STEALTH so no problem here.

MOttS

Motts wrote:

"If you are completely STEALTH from the internet then you are not vulnerable at all. Sleep easy man!"

Unfortunately, that's not true. The RIAA may not be able to scan your computer *directly*, but since your shared files are out there for the picking, the RIAA easily knows what you're making available same as anyone else. The real problem for them is finding out who you are. That's where the ISP comes in. You may be full stealth, but an IP address for you is still available, broadcast to the world, even if you get a dynamically assigned one. File sharing is impossible without an IP. Now, if you're full stealth then true, the RIAA has no way of scanning your computer for info about who you are, but your ISP knows who they have given an IP address. That's why the court decision forcing ISPs to give that info to the RIAA was so important. It's the only easy way for the RIAA to find you.

So stay awake - unless you're very sure your ISP won't give you up.

but since your shared files are out there for the picking, the RIAA easily knows what you're making available same as anyone else.

Yes you are right. But you are just a little grain of sand on a large beach. I would not worry about that .. especially if you are not the 'ripper' that is the first one to share stuff (mp3, iso image of the last Windows version, games, etc etc etc). If you share 'Metallica - enter sandman' and like million other people share this file also then I don't see why they would bother with you. Personnaly I don't mind.

Take it easy.

MottS

It is my understanding that they scan your computer to see what you are offering for download, and then they contact your isp. When i was using kazaa lite 2.02, there was an option to not allow anyone to get a complete playlist from your computer, I assumed (I know, an assumption is the mother of all ****-ups) that was so the RIAA couldn't see what you are offering; they wouldn't know if you were offering 3 or 3000 songs for download. I got the impression the gtk-gnutella doesn't use playlists like kazaa. The college where I am going has started offering fines to people that are caught downloading, using the campus net (this seems like a violation of the privacy act) and they are making them write a letter of apology to the RIAA.