Iomega ZIP strange conduct

jeanrev

I installed MDK9.1 on my PC with a Iomega ZIP 100 internal already installed on WIN$

I must wait a full 2 minutes before the data are available on the first try

after switching on the PC afterwards it's OK

What should I do ? here is the answer to my quey :

[root@localhost jean]# insmod ppa

Using /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o.gz

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o.gz: unresolved symbol parport_unregister_device_R76e8567d

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o.gz: unresolved symbol parport_enumerate_Rb019f67c

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o.gz: unresolved symbol parport_register_device_Rf6150a17

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o.gz: unresolved symbol parport_release_Re630d383

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o.gz: unresolved symbol parport_claim_R91004644

[root@localhost jean]#

thanks for your help

I installed MDK9.1 on my PC recently There was a Iomega ZIP internal reader

When i first try to open the inserted disk it needs 2 minutes exactly to provide the stored information

then the next openings are normal

I tried some tests via the console :

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o.gz: unresolved symbol parport_unregister_device_R76e8567d

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o.gz: unresolved symbol parport_enumerate_Rb019f67c

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o.gz: unresolved symbol parport_register_device_Rf6150a17

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o.gz: unresolved symbol parport_release_Re630d383

/lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/scsi/ppa.o.gz: unresolved symbol parport_claim_R91004644

[root@localhost jean]#

[jean@localhost jean]$ cat /proc/ide/hd*/model

WDC AC310100B

IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI

GCR-8521B

R/RW 4x4x32

[jean@localhost jean]$

[jean@localhost jean]$

can you advise me on how to fix it ? Should I wait for the next issue of MDK ?

Thanks

Maybe something like the cf card reader problem i have. I don't think they came out with a fix yet... just a workaround.

I leave a spare card in when I boot so I don't get any error messages. Maybe boot with a zip inserted and give that a try?

what is to be done in order to make my scsi internal iomega ZIP 100 operate with MDK 9.1 ?

I did some tests via the console :

here is the contents of etc/fstab file :

/dev/hda7 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda6 /mnt/win_e vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/zip supermount dev=/dev/sda4,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda8 swap swap defaults 0 0

[jean@localhost jean]$ lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 03)

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 03)

00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)

00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)

00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)

00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)

00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 04)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVidia / SGS Thomson (Joint Venture) Riva128 (rev 22)

[jean@localhost jean]$

[jean@localhost jean]$ cat /proc/ide/hd*/model WDC AC310100B IOMEGA ZIP 100 ATAPI

GCR-8521B R/RW 4x4x32

[jean@localhost jean]$

After I start my PC I insert the ZIP disk into the Iomega ZIP 100 scsi internal reader and when I ask to "open" I have to wait 2 minutes before I can visualize the data (in the meantime my screen and mouse are frozen)

Once it is open It operates normally (i can open and close, copy and paste and register data normally)

can you advise me on how to fix it ? or should I wait for the next issue of the Mandrake distro ?

Thanks

I think the problem is supermount; both your zip and floppy are running with supermount as well as your cd drives. I always disable supermount because I always have problems with it and I'm not alone; supermount is pretty buggy and when you have a problem with one of your drives you can never be sure it's not supermount. Supermount is mandrakes automounting feature for removable media drives. To disable supermount run the following as root:

# supermount -i disable

This will automatically edit fstab to remove supermount from all effected drives. However, your zip, floppy and cd drives will no longer try to automatically mount the removable media when inserted. You'll have to manually mount the drive in a console or create a mounting icon for each drive on your desktop.Try the zip drive first. Place a zip disk int the drive, open a console and run:

$ mount /mnt/zip

Report any error messages if you get any. Next, navigate to /mnt/zip and see if you can see the contents of the zip disk. Try reading and writing to the disk as well. When your done testing, you have to unmount the zip drive before you remove the zip disk. Do so by running:

$ umount /mnt/zip

Note, that's not a typo; the command is "umount", not "unmount".

If that worked OK, you can create a mounting icon for your zip drive on your desktop by doing the following:

1.Right click on your desktop and go to Create New>Floppy Device in the drop down menus;

2.In the resulting window that comes up, type"Zip Drive" in the field to give the icon a name;

3.Click on the "Device" tab which will reveal an empty field to designate the appropriate device. Tick the black arrow to the right of this field to reveal a drop down menu listing every device in fstab. Select "/dev/sda4";

4.Tick on the General tab and then tick"OK" on the bottom. Your new zip drive mounting icon will appear on your desktop.

To use the icon you just made, put a zip disk in the drive and click on the icon. Konqueror will automatically open up and display the contents of the zip disk. You'll also notice that the icon changes when in the mounted condititon. Next, close konqueror, right click on the mounting icon and select "unmount" from the drop down menu and remove the disk. You always should unmount the drive before removing the removable media from the drive. Make mounting icons for your floppy and two cd drives. They will work exactly the same way.

I am fairly confident that this will correct the problems you are having. The symptoms you describe are typical of the type of problems that supermount causes when it decides not to work. I always disable supermount and so do many other long time mandrake users.