Arch Linux

I doubt if anyone cares - but I've just installed arch linux. First impressions are:

1) fast

2) things install fast - I was on gentoo before and this is a nice change

3) I'll probably have to recompile the kernel - my system is not 100% happy with this one

4) A couple of packages don't quite work how I like them - but again I can recompile these it's a lot quicker than compiling your whole system!

On the whole I like it and I'm going to stick with it for a while.

you can use abs to recompile the binaries if you want to. however, since the binaries are already i686 optimized, you really won't notice a difference..(maybe a nano-second or two *waits for the overclockers to show up*)

Does Arch used pre-compiled binaries or is it more of a Debian/Gentoo approach?

Debian uses pre-compiled binaries.

Ok, a Gentoo approach then. :wink:

I would say if it's using pre-compiled binaries then it is a Debian approach or 100+ other distro aproach.

Gentoo is source w/ *broken GRP* packages. :wink:

• 3 months later...

I doubt anyone cares even now - but I have returned to arch after being back in gentoo for a little while. So far I'm finding things a little better than before although I still don't have everything set up yet

But - it is wonderful to not have to install everything from source!

I installed Arch a week ago. Not the easiest to configure, but I got past that and I like it.

Right now I'm trying to get Fluxbox to see all my fonts. Haven't figured it out yet, but it's a good learning experience. I think I've learned more this week than I did in the couple of months I had Gentoo running

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using arch for a good few months now, to be honest it's brilliant, before this i was on LFS (and before that Mandrake).

I got sick of amndrake and the mess that dependencies are and all it's other little annoyancies, so i wen t on a mission to create my own LFS based upon RPM and on a bootable CD, but in teh process of waiting for KDE 3.2 and 2.6 kernel (didn't want to start the CD until then) i got bored and discovered Arch from a posting on osnews.com, i checked it out straight away and i'm still using it to this day, pacman is great, although it could be better in version checking of packages, it provides no Central config tool, but it uses the BSD boot method and so rc.conf, this makes networking, modules and daemons easy peasy...

All in all it's a great Distro, and now i'm running my own packages of KDE 3.2 Beta2 with 2.6.0... fast stuff!

Edited by c_m_f

• 1 month later...