Having a problem with root login and su logins not matching

Guest MasterTech

Guest MasterTech

Hey all,

Not really sure where this goes but here I am.

I had a problem with my root login not working so I managed to install and use webmin on my MDK 9.2. Worked great. I was able to login as the root with the password that I knew it to be, which further perplexed me as to why it wouldn't let from the prompt. Anyway, I then changed it to something less likely to be misspelled and logged back out of X. No matter WHAT I have done I am not able to login as root. I CAN, however, login as a user and SU and use the recent password I changed it to and all is well. I have it set to the Linux Secure boot image. My thought, at this point, is that the root password encrypted key is not matching the current password. (saw that option in webmin) however, I have not the slightest idea how to go about fixing it if that is truly the problem. What am I missing? I searched this forum and was unable to find anything relevant so I am asking...any thoughts...ANYONE? :oops:

in a hurry to fully understand you post but your security settings must be set to disallow root login from the prompt (which is normal for the standard security settings of mdk).

go to the mandrake control settings and fiddle with your security settings first. :)

ciao!

Welcome!

which is normal for the standard security settings of mdk
heh? No it's not.....not for me anyway.

Are you being refused at init 3, or in a dm? The dm's have to be set to allow root to login. Well, in mdk gdm's default is to allow, but kdm and mdkkdm is to deny.

Guest MasterTech

Thanks for the welcome bvc! :o

I normally work with Slackware but I am trying to teach someone ELSE about Linux and figured that for them,( not being the MOST computer literate) that mdk would be an easier linux to tinker with. But, as a good trainer, I got a different hard drive than my SW and threw on mdk so when there were questions I had the answers(alot of answers I have right now eh?) :oops:

Anyway, I can use my root login in the different dm's (choosing any, usually ICEWm) but I am unable to login at any of the text login prompts (which I believe you are calling init 3?).

Does any of that help? While waiting for an answer I am going to poke around the init3rc stuff and see what I see. Thanks for the info so far guys/gals (ya never know)

Welcome!
which is normal for the standard security settings of mdk
heh? No it's not.....not for me anyway.

Are you being refused at init 3, or in a dm? The dm's have to be set to allow root to login. Well, in mdk gdm's default is to allow, but kdm and mdkkdm is to deny.

Have you maybe got a different keyboard setting ?

Perhpas a key is mismatched in the two settings??

If you find where are your loadkeys you might find that its being set in your root login shell and also the one you are su'ing from.

Most of my PC's suffer from this and I just never bothered to fix it but then i have a big collection of different keyboards.

Mainly the only real annoyance is for a login prompt with French keyboard.

what security setting did you choose? sometimes logging in at a virtual terminal isn't permitted as a security measure. i would change to standard security level in mandrake and see if the problem repeats itself.

you could also create a regular user with the same password as root to test and see if it's something with the password...:?:

but I am unable to login at any of the text login prompts (which I believe you are calling init 3?).
Yes. Hmmmm.....I've had my security level one up from Standard and never had a problem logging in as root from init 3. I'll poke around a bit when I get home and see what I can find, but it sounds fishy to me.

Guest MasterTech

Great info guys, I will check them out and let you know.

you could also create a regular user with the same password as root to test and see if it's something with the password...:?:

tyme, I would think that if the password were the problem then I wouldn't be able to use it when I su either would I ? Just a thought.

Thanks,

what I meant was if typing in the password at the virtual console is the problem. referring to what Gowator said about possibly two different keyboard mappings/settings. that was what I was trying to get it.

Guest MasterTech

Got it now, thanks. Sorry I crossed a wire there. :wink:

what I meant was if typing in the password at the virtual console is the problem.  referring to what Gowator said about possibly two different keyboard mappings/settings.  that was what I was trying to get it.