WineX ebuilds removed from [Gentoo's]Portage

DOlson

By request from Transgaming Technologies, two WineX ebuilds (winex and winex-cvs) which build WineX from Transgaming's public CVS tree available under the Aladdin Free Public License have been removed from Portage and will no longer be maintained. According to Transgaming, the public CVS tree's purpose is not to provide a free version of WineX, but to enable people to assist with their development efforts, and if it's trivial for people to get WineX from CVS without contributing, it seriously discourages them from providing public CVS at all. See this excerpt from their LICENSE:

"Note that while this license does permit certain kinds of non-commercial distribution of pre-compiled binary packages of WineX, doing so on a large scale is discouraged, as it affects TransGaming's ability to continue to improve and develop the code. TransGaming reserves the right to change the license under which TransGaming-owned copyright code is made available, and will not hesitate to do so if non-commercial distribution of pre-compiled binary packages adversely affects the financing of continued development."

The winex-transgaming ebuild remains available for subscribers to Transgaming who want to install binary WineX packages. Also, Wine, the free project on which WineX is based, is still in the Portage tree.

This seems familiar to me...

There was some stink about this over at the Gentoo forums when every one realized they couldn't emerge winex-cvs anymore. Unfortunately, people aren't making as big a deal of this as they should be.

Why should anyone make a big stink about it? You can still go grab the CVS if you want (atleast it appears so, can't test it right now), it's just not in portage. Besides, Transgaming has every right to charge for their program. No need to make a big stink, just go grab the CVS the normal way. Or pay $15 to get the most recent version (and stay updated for the next 3 months).

No biggie.

right on tyme.

providing a widely accessible CVS version of winex for gentoo users (or anybody that has prepackages the cvs) is really stretching the goodwill of transgaming. it is CHEAP so don't be cheapskates.

damn linux people and p2p people think everything should be free :x :x :x

what you don't think the majority of both users don't expect stuff for free?

i am not the only one who has noted this but the growing number of p2p users get agry when their access to "free" stuff is "violated". I am also not so blind as to realize that most users of linux relate gpl and other "free" licenses to meaning free as in beer.

i also know that there are users of both that buy/donate or contribute their time they are not the majority though.

like it or not that is reality.

An ebuild is just instructions on getting the source, compiling, and installing it - I can do the same by writing a script and using that to automate the process.

If Transgaming doesn't want people to use it for free, they should:

1) CHANGE THE LICENSE.

2) STOP USING SOURCEFORGE.

But whatever. I guess WineX fanatics wouldn't understand this sort of thing.

*looks around*

what winex fanatics? i don't see any winex fanatics. maybe transgaming wants people who are using the CVS to actually contribute, not just abuse it. maybe people should give something back to the people writing the code...:?:

Maybe people who use CVS want more frequent updates from Transgaming? So why do they need to remove the convenience from Gensdfsklg bnlah blaheogobnmdg mkdfg forget it

what you don't think the majority of both users don't expect stuff for free?

Actually, I don't. It's just that the software they've grown accustomed to using just happens to be free. I think that they're not going to change what they're using just because something that isn't free happens to be ported. But it will make a difference in people switching to Linux (I know many people that would switch if Photoshop were available for Linux, for example) Personally, I would buy a Linux version of Finale from Coda Music if it were available.

i am not the only one who has noted this but the growing number of p2p users get agry when their access to "free" stuff is "violated". I am also not so blind as to realize that most users of linux relate gpl and other "free" licenses to meaning free as in beer.

i also know that there are users of both that buy/donate or contribute their time they are not the majority though.

like it or not that is reality.

I'd like to understand better why you think this way. I'm not trying to start an argument, I just think you're being overly pessimistic. I think you might be misinterpreting things that are being said by these "users".

I don't think the absolute worst-case scenario in things is always the most-likely outcome.

OFF TOPIC

8)  

We can almost argue about almost anything!! :lol:  

:cheeky:

OFF TOPIC

No we can't! :roll: :wink:

ON TOPIC

Well so what, emerge no, but you can still compile from source like everybody else.

Besides no time for winex when ET servers are nicely full(all the time). Must go plant some landmines.