X broken after security update

Crashdamage

Wasn't broke, I shouldn't have fooled with it.

Basically, I tried to install some long-overdue security updates. Opened the Software Manager, picked a bunch, including one for XFree86, and sat back watch them install. Install failed - oh well, forget the security stuff. But problems...

App failed to start, so I treid to restart X - no go. Tried a reboot to see any error messages - failed, kernel panic - can't find init.

Booted into rescue mode from CD1, tried to reinstall Lilo - no go, it can't deal with something about my CF card reader, /dev/sda1. Decided to do fsck. It found errors, did repairs, Tried another reboot - no go, but better. Started out OK, no kernel panic, mounted all the HDs, started moving along, but then disentegrated into lots of missing file errors, etc.

Thinking I'm pretty well screwed at this point, I decided to try an Upgrade-only install to correct the file errors and try and save things. And it did, mostly. I still get error messages at boot about missing shared files for aumix and HardDrake, but I'm able to finish booting and log in as a user or root. I have 'net access and can run text apps like Mutt, slrn or Midnight Commander, and my home network is still up. But if I type "startx" I get:

"xauth: error while loading shared libraries: libXmuu.so.1: cannot oped shared object file: No such file or directory"

The file's, there, in /usr/X11R6/lib along with a symlink libXmuu.so.1.0.

I tried to uninstall XFree86, but no go with rpm -e - dependencies. Finally ended up reinstalling XFree86 with rpm -ivh --force to try and get things working but no good, some problem.

I'd *really* like to fix this. Seems most stuff is OK, and this is a *very* complicated, highly customized and upgraded install of 8.2 that would take days of work to redo. I also use it to telecommute to work. I was happy with it and had no desire or intention of upgrading until the 2.6 kernel was stable. Any help is VERY much appreciated. I'm just out of ideas...

This is not going to help, but I recall having a problem with 8.2 after a security update; I do not remember which one. I would suggest looking for specifically 8.2 updates, and see if the rpm's you loaded were the latest for that version. I'm not sure how later updates might effect an older version. Theoretically it shouldn't, but ya' never know!

8.2 was the most stable mandrake I ever ran!

Well, I had all the sources setup in urpmi for 8.2 stuff and haven't had trouble before. It just trashed things this time.

8.2 has been very, very stable, and if I do end up reinstalling, I'll probably load it again. I've got no good reason to go to 9.1 and plenty of reasons not to. But man, do I hope somebody's got an answer...

:shock: :? YUK! Don't really know what to say. For future reference you can remove with

rpm -e --nodeps XFree86*

if I remember corectly that is with the *. Then do

rpm -qa | grep XFree86

to be sure they're all gone. Then a locate, or slocate for any strays? That's really all I can suggest. Maybe there's still some of the updated XFree files left lying around. It's a long process but you've got your CD's and init 1 as well, if you want it bad enough to do it ALL by hand. I did it once with 8.1 :shock: :roll: ...and it's not fun. :cry: I'm sorry to here this, because I know you got a lot of work into that box.

Thanks for the sympathy and suggestions.

OK, rpm -e --nodeps it is...then out with all the strays I can find, then I'll try reinstalling with urpmi -v and hope it works.

Unfortunately, I think I feel a reinstall coming on. At least I can do another complete backup before I do.

OK, what I did was do --force installs of all the XFree 4.2 rpms and a couple of other things. Now I can a reboot and the shutdown/startup sequence goes by fine, no errors. No font server errors, nothing, it looks good.

And, when I type "startx" it seems like it's gonna go, I even get a flash of blue screen (or red if I do it as root, as I should) but X fails, drops back to Level 1 with the message:

"waiting for X server to shut down"

I've run XFdrake 3 times, checked /var/log/XFree86.0.log for errors - there aren't any. From what I know, everything looks good and should work.

I know I'm close to getting this going. But I'm at another dead end and out of ideas again.

It might be having a problem with your user files. Try creating a new user just to see if it boots into x. If it does, then the problem is in your user files. If it doesn't, the problem is still x.

ixthusdan is probably right. i had a similar problem when trying to install openbox in cygwin (ok, so it isnt mandrake :P ). something in my .xinitrc is preventing X from starting up so i just deleted it and X came up without any problems.

i cant remember if mandrake uses .xinitrc like cygwin but something similar must be happening to you.

ciao!

NIRVANA HAS BEEN REACHED!!! IT'S FIXED!!!

I knew I had to be close, but in my haze of stupidity I forgot to check something. Creating a new user didn't work, but it did kick my measly mind into gear a little and made me realize I hadn't checked ~/.xsession.errors for more info. I'd been thinking global system stuff. So I took a look, and sure enough there was a message about it couldn't find a libqt file. But X doesn't need qt stuff, so whatsup with that? Again, it took a bit for the haze of stupidity to clear and let the reason become apparent...

I run Fluxbox, but KDE is installed for 2 other users. Now, I usually let X start at boot, which will open things up at the login manager, handy for everyone. But for trouble shooting I had disabled X starting at boot. Since KDE is the default Mandrake WM, when I tried logging in and typing "startX" it was trying to open the default WM - KDE.

So I did 2 things: I reinstalled the offending qt package and re-enabled X start at boot. Now, everything's cool, working like before. HDs seem to be fine, fsck apparently did the trick. I've only noticed one problem. Midnight Commander refuses to run transparent. Still runs my color scheme, but on a black background, I lost transparency. Hey, I can live with that!

On the other hand, somewhere along the line I had recently lost the ability to tint aterm windows. They either were black or had to be 100% transparent. But for whatever reason, aterm tinting is working again, so I guess that makes it an even trade.

Good 'ol 8.2...tough to kill...but I'm not running any more security updates. I'll just keep services to the minimum (as always) and let Bastille and Portsentry do their thing. But I think this makes a great example of how you can fix Linux, not reinstall it. This system had serious HD file system and application file problems but is a happy puppy again.

Thanks guys! Maybe you didn't have the exact answer, but you gave me the needed jolt to the gray matter!

Just a quick note for anyone who might care...

I fixed transparency in Midnight Commander. I'd forgotten it was one of several things I've upgraded to later versions using non-Mandrake packages. Did a urpmi -v with a mc-4.6.0 rpm I'd used and all is back to normal - well, after sorting out a couple of other glitches, like reinstalling sendmail, one of the security upgrades I'd selected. It was just gone...

Anyway, guess I got away with one this time.