Xine

Guest mahiles

Guest mahiles

Rite I got Xine installed but how do I make it play dvds? I heard that I needed libdvdcss so I got that but what do I do with it? If I just put it anywhere and run ./configure, make, make install will it install it in the correct place or do I have to do it in a specific place? Help!

I tried xine a couple of days ago with a dvd and it attempted, but failed. Last night I opened rpmdrake and installed everyhting that was xine and it worked beautifully. There's a libdvdcss rpm that needs to be installed. It's not a file that you put somewhere. Everything is on the 3 cd's.

Oh, beautifully except my kids computer animated dvd's have lines in them (mplayer also)....what's up with that? :roll: Win98 doesn't do it :cry:

To play encrypted DVDs in Xine you need libdvdcss, rather than building it yourself get the rpm from the PLF site. While your at it upgrade to the latest version of Xine and other Xine plugins. Once thats done place the DVD in the drive and fire up Xine. In the GUI click on the DVD tab and wait for the disk to sping up and then it should work.

I have found Xine to be a picky, it either works perfectly on a computer or its awful. If you do get poor quality play back first make sure you haven't got huge amount of processes/apps running in the background huggin teh memory. Also if your in KDE try using the arts plugin for audio instead of the default OSS. (Xine's config can be got at by clicking on the spanner icon). If all else fails try Ogle, not as nice IMHO but reliable.

This site shows how to add PLF and other sources to urpmi to make installing the required rpms easier.

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/

I have found Xine to be a picky, it either works perfectly on a computer or its awful.  If you do get poor quality play back first make sure you haven't got huge amount of processes/apps running in the background huggin teh memory. 

just so you know, every dvd player available can have this sort of trouble and it is not related to the app it is related to dma settings. almost 99% time poor playback is a result of dma and not the app.

mahiles wrote:

Rite I got Xine installed but how do I make it play dvds? I heard that I needed libdvdcss so I got that but what do I do with it? If I just put it anywhere and run ./configure, make, make install will it install it in the correct place or do I have to do it in a specific place? Help!

I uninstalled xine then used these instructions. It has worked well for me.

http://www.geocities.com/desktopmandrake/xine.htm

To play dvds you need to install the d5d and d4d plugins.

One problem however i had. It didn't work with Xine 1.0.

You need to install the 0.9.

This means getting an old mandrake 9.0 xine-ui (version 0.9) rpm from www.rpmfind.net

James

Like I said, install all xine pkgs on the cd's.....I did and its been great.

[root@localhost home]# rpm -qa | grep xine

xine-dxr3-1-0.beta4.1mdk

xine-ui-fb-0.9.18-1mdk

libxine0-0.9.13-11mdk

xine-aa-1-0.beta4.1mdk

libxine1-1-0.beta4.1mdk

xine-esd-1-0.beta4.1mdk

xine-arts-1-0.beta4.1mdk

xine-lib-compat-arts-0.9.13-11mdk

xine-lib-compat-dxr3-0.9.13-11mdk

xinetd-2.3.11-1.1mdk

xine-ui-0.9.18-1mdk

xine-lib-compat-alsa-0.9.13-11mdk

xine-alsa-1-0.beta4.1mdk

xine-lib-compat-aa-0.9.13-11mdk

xine-ui-aa-0.9.18-1mdk

xine-dvdnav-1-0.beta4.1mdk

xine-flac-1-0.beta4.1mdk

xine-lib-compat-esd-0.9.13-11mdk

xine-plugins-1-0.beta4.1mdk

xine-lib-compat-plugins-0.9.13-11mdk

Sarah31

At least it gives me experience to sort out mahiles ongoing other problem :

hehe

currently a bit busy cos Im playing dephell..... A great new game brought to you by rpm productions ....

ahhhhh

dep_hell? I think i clocked it ages ago. I haven't met it for ages!!

But it'll be my luck they bring out a dep_hell addon sooner or later and i'll have to beat it again................

James

OK, I want a web interface to a mysql mp3 database.

Sounds easy ....

edits:

I know its do-able but Ill make you a deal.

The reason I haven't had time to post the single CD set is Im stuck trying to figure this problem....

If you wanna do this and document it I'll do the CD image...