What about Racing?

FX

Seems like most of the games that are ported to Linux are either killing (majority), sims or board games. What about racing?

Yes I understand there is Torcs, but I come from Sierra/Papy racing games. Or even EA with F1 (horrid netcoding). I would really love to see a racing game ported for Linux, with maybe some decent racing wheel (MOMO) drivers to go along with it.

I refuse to use wine(x) also. I dual boot to avoid the hassle. I have enough trouble just learning how to get mplayer working correctly. :)

If I am wrong about the post and there are racing games for Linux then I am sorry and you all can disregard this post. :D

FX

Im with you. I don't exactly like getting off head shots with my 7yr old asking " what happened to him daddy?" It seems that the first person shooter game will dominate Linux as it has Windows gaming. I have found a driving/race simulation game from dolson's site (http://pgshopping.com/mdkxp/?c=games/freegames ) its called racer. Now this gam is a .05 release so take it for that, it lokks good and will get better I'm sure. I was gonna put the direct link but it seemed down, so youll get this list of free games.

Anyways I'm planning to pick up some version of sim city for linux and/or railroad tycoon 2 sometime soon. At least I will be able play these in front of my kid!! Hopefully as time goes by and as a community go out and BUY a Linux version of our favorite game when available, more and more companys will bring out games for us. If we don't by games for linux...well go look at the karge selection of Mac games :P :!: oh thats right. If we're veiwed just as leeches by game developers, then we will have to depend on the hacker community to port games for us, then come the virus scares we all enjoy in windows.

LGP is porting Ballistic right now, which is a racing game, albeit not with cars.

There are mods for UT2003 and Q3A that allow you to drive cars, but the quality may or may not be what you want.

I agree though, we need more car games for Linux.

• 1 month later...

The link Eric_Z posted is a decent game, although a little problematic, control-wise.

It comes standard in SuSE Linux distributions. 8.2 Professional includes the 0.4.9 version I think.

The graphics are excellent for a hobby game.

Guest Takmadeus

Well..... are you asking for racing games?..... Welll i got for you not just that, but RPGs, astrategy and a complete library with more than 1000 3D games...... it is called playstation...... why am I takling about that?.... well, because you can play playstation games on your pc, no matter if you use windblow$ or Linux, the advantage is that in linux it will run at fullspeed with no slowdowns at all, and in both versions, they'll have the graphics only your PC can give (imagine, 2XSai, anisotropic filtering, etc....) if you wanna know how to do so visit: www.ngemu.com or www.epsxe.com look around those places and you'll be able to get some info on that

PD: normally, 3D gaming in linx is slow, but as long as you can have tux racer playing in linux at a decent speed, you'll be fine.......