NVIDIA driver

Guest oberon

Guest oberon

So, everything exactly the same I was doing before, but with installing the kernel sourse and compiling with -ane option... I'll try this but don't believe this will work, because in Red Hat to install NVIDIA driver I had to do the same: install kernel sourse and compile. And after all that fuss Red Hat hanged, which it never did before.

But anyway there are no other ideas... so I'll try that.

I use init 3 to close X and then startx to start - isn't it the same as service dm stop/start?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, everything exactly the same I was doing before, but with installing the kernel sourse and compiling with -ane option... I'll try this but don't believe this will work, because in Red Hat to install NVIDIA driver I had to do the same: install kernel sourse and compile. And after all that fuss Red Hat hanged, which it never did before.

But anyway there are no other ideas... so I'll try that. 

I use init 3 to close X and then startx to start - isn't it the same as service dm stop/start?

I don't know if your in RH or MDK, (I didn't read the whole thing) :wink: , but I use:

# /sbin/init 3 (stop)

#/sbin/init 5 (start)

Guest oberon

OK, here I am again.

fresh install

upgraded from cd

installed kernel-source

rebooted (Windows habit :))

downloaded driver

su init 3

sh NVIDIA* -ane

'yes' everywhere

vim /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (everything was in place, BUT instead of Load "glx" there was a longer line with libglx.so, see above. Someone told me that it is exactly the same)

startx

came here and started to write this message

hanged in the 3rd line of it...

The conclusion from this long story is that my hardware is in odds with nvidia drivers. If I want to stay with Linux - and I want - I can choose one of two ways.

1. Install Red Hat again, but do not install nvidia driver in it. It uses some generic driver, as I understand, with some basic GL possibilities, since it does display GL screensavers, but very slowly. On the positive side, RH allows me to use my favourite screen resolution, 1152 x 864. On the negative side, many things are more difficult in RH. For example, I still cannot find out how to install Windows fonts in it.

2. Stay with Mandrake using some other driver for video card. I am not going to run games, so basically I don't need GL. On the negative side is that when I use 'vesa' driver, I cannot use resolution higher than, probably 1024 x 768. I don't know which resolution it actually chooses, but if I choose something higher, it accepts that, but actually uses the same lower resolution. And it looks nasty on my monitor, I am just unhappy about it.

Could you suggest me another non-nvidia generic driver which I could try? There should be a driver the same as used in RH by default for NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS card.

Try using DOlson's tutorial for installing NVIDIA if you haven't already.

http://pgshopping.com/mdkxp/?c=ttrls/nvidianew

I've ran NVIDIA in RH/MDK/SuSE/Libranet/Debian/Slackware/Gentoo blahblahblah the list goes on. There is something your missing.

I just installed NVIDIA drivers in SuSE last night and with an updated kernel it is the hardest distro to get them installed, as far as process. So there has to be something your missing in your XFree file. What's in your /var/log/nvidia?<something> messages? Did it actually say it installed the driver, or did you just flip through the messages with out reading? Is it possible your running kerenl and your kernel-source aren't the same?

#uname -r

# rpm -q kernel-source

Even if you decide to go with RH or another distro, you should be able to get NVIDIA 3D running on any linux.

So check over DOlson's guide,

Look at your kernel & Kernel-source,

Check you /var messages for nvidia-install <something like that>

Post your XFree86-4 file.

What ever you do, don't go back to winblows. You will hate yourselve for it in the morning! :wink:

I rebuilt the nvidia drivers for 9.1 You could try those. You need to edit your config file, but just change "nv" to "nvidia" don't edit anything else this time. Remove old driveres first, then install nvidia driver before glx. get them here:

ftp://ftp.mandrakeusers.com/pub/Nvidia

Example

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

VendorName "nVidia Corporation"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"

Driver "nvidia"

Option "DPMS"

EndSection

Guest oberon
Try using DOlson's tutorial for installing NVIDIA if you haven't already

Yes, I did everything according to this tutorial, and many times :)

#uname -r 

# rpm -q kernel-source

I tried to check this now, without reinstallation, but the bastard hanged immediately after starting KDE. So I'll try this in the morning, after another reinstall. But anyway, the driver's installer checks the versions. I had this situation when was installing under Red Hat: the kernel was updated, but not the sourse. The installer reported error and quited.

Did it actually say it installed the driver

Yes, it did. And the driver works fine, I tested it with glxgears and it reported something like

7155 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1431.000 FPS

7227 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1445.400 FPS

So it works, but the problem is that the system hangs randomly (most often when I am typing a message for this forum), and exactly when it is with nvidia driver.

/var/log/nvidia?<something>

I'll try to boot it again and see, but if it fails, I'll check tomorrow, after the next hang :?

Post your XFree86-4 file

The 'Device' section is exactly like in the anon's mesage above.

The 'Module' section looked like this:

Section "Module" 

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension 

Load "v4l" # Video for Linux 

Load "extmod" 

Load "type1" 

Load "freetype" 

Load "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so" 

EndSection

I didn't add 'Load "glx"' because I was told earlier in this thread that 'Load ... libglx.so' does the same thing.

I know all this stuff by heart already. But I'll check it and post here after the next attempt anyway.

have you tried just using the "nv" driver

Well, as I understand, this driver is installed automatically when Mandrake defines during installation that there is an NVIDIA card. I guess this nv driver IS an NVIDIA driver since when X starts I see the NVIDIA splash screen, straight after the installation. And, yes, my system hangs with nv also.

I'll go and check what I can do right now...

Guest oberon

I am trying to post a message from under Mandrake...

/var/log/nvidia-installer.log - it is huge, but here is it's ending:

-> Driver file installation is complete.

-> Running post-install sanity check:

-> done.

-> Sanity check passed.

-> Installation of the NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86

(version: 1.0-4363) is now complete.  Please update your XF86Config file as

appropriate; see the file /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for details.

Ok, I'll post while it didn't hang

Ah,

So it works, but the problem is that the system hangs randomly (most often when I am typing a message for this forum), and exactly when it is with nvidia driver.

I'm in idiot, I don't know if I ever noticed you saying that, I just thought you couldn't get it to work.

Try going to an old driver like 4191 or 4349 that might keep those lookup demons away :wink:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_di...display_archive

Guest oberon

Great, so I'll try what anon advises, tomorrow after a fresh install (it's late already here). If you could only tell me how to remove all the previous drivers properly? And will I need to do this after a fresh install? And, just to be sure, how exactly to install these to rpms? I think I'll download them into some directory and then will add it as a software sourse...

It didn't hang yet!

Guest oberon
the "nv" driver is not an nvidia driver, it's not made by nvidia. it's a generic driver, and you should not see the nvidia logo when using it.

THIS IS REALLY STRANGE! I see it every time after a fresh install! How can this happen?

the "nv" driver is not an nvidia driver, it's not made by nvidia. it's a generic driver, and you should not see the nvidia logo when using it.

THIS IS REALLY STRANGE! I see it every time after a fresh install! How can this happen?

I have no idea. I just know, with the nv driver, there should be no nvidia logo. Unless you bought the commercial cd's, in which case it would install the nvidia drivers (atleast I think those drivers are on the commercial cds...?)