6 week newbie, 6 problems left.

Guest turi

Anna is right, you need UDF/packet writing, or MountRainier/Easywrite;

the latter should be supported by the drive in its firmware.

UDF is to be avoided, cdrw discs are more problematic than floppies in the sense that they possibly accumulate more dirt, fingerprints and scratches.

UDF has error-correction, the mechanism is better than for cd-rom (or cd-r(w) written in a normal way), that's why a 650MB cd-rw will only give you 550MB or so when using drag and drop packet writing (I used easy cd creator when I still used windows).

But this extra redundency is not really enough if you don't take real good care of your discs; one fingerprint on a cd-rom (cdr) will create read errors, that's okay, they thought of that.

On a cd-rw it will create write errors the next time you use it; the data may not be written properly.

In comes Mount Rainier/easywrite. It has a much better error management mechanism, which also means you get some 30MB less (520MB? out of 650).

I saw some messages quite some time ago on usenet, Jens Axboe was working on it, and it should work fine.

It should also be included in kernel 2.6, and some 2.4 kernels may have it backported.

In any case: for now, just write a cd-rw as you would a cd-r, don't use packet writing, not on windows, not on linux. It's not so bad, you can do fast erases and just rewrite the whole disc.

And be very careful with the disc! Never touch the surface with your fingers etcetc....

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anna says:

MDK 9.1, k3b: the version which came with the install cd's. Also installed: cdrecord, cdrdao, mkisofs, all versions from the install cd. Supermount: on. fstab in 'orginal' condition. 

i have another thread going concerning k3b problems. http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=6...8b840e4f2650e7f if you look at that thread, i am being told, several times, that supermount needs to be turned off for k3b to work correctly. now Anna says it doesn't. which way is correct? i'm at work so i can't check things until tonight. i may not have all the libraries installed (mkisofs, etc.) so maybe that's my problem. i'll look into that. but, could somebody clarify the supermount question? i don't want to have to mount/unmount manually if it isn't needed.

thanks,

Chris

Ixthusdan says it should be turned off, anna and I say it doesn't.

I can't say that I completely disagree with Ixthusdan though; in case of problems I would also turn it off.

But on the other hand, I have installed 4 systems with a burner and all with supermount and k3b fully functional. No problems.

So no, it doesn't have to be turned off, but in case of problems, that may be the first thing to try.

supermount is an oddity. works for some, not for others. that's why people suggest you turn it off, because it _may_ be the source of the problem. i turn it off just so that i don't have to deal with possible issues.

Thanks for the responses.

1. If GAIM can't send files, then it's more useless than kopete. I have the feature in Kpete but I keep having that problem. I don't think I'll switch. It's just one thing, just bugs me that I can't send people pics so easily.

Try AYTTM. It does support file transfer on MSN and Yahoo. I don't use it that often, but it seems really good, and file transferring works quite well for MSN. (Haven't tried it on Yahoo)

http://ayttm.sourceforge.net

This project used to be called Everybuddy.

The sender of the file should have a public IP and allow incoming connections to TCP port 6891.

don't know if that relates to your problem, but it could be an issue with you sending a file. as for saving, no clue.

I don't really use instant messaging, but as far as I know, the recent versions of Gaim support file transfers. Or is it limited in the number of protocols it supports the file transfers in?

Q.  Can Gaim send files? 

A.  TOC can, in a limited way, and OSCAR can send files over AIM in 0.60 and higher. Most protocols are capable of it, but Gaim hasn't implemented anything yet. Support is being worked on and may partially work for MSN and Jabber.

and

Q. When will file transfer be supported? Is it being worked on? 

A.  Gaim 0.60 includes preliminary file transfer support. It likely contains a few bugs that will be fixed in time. Currently, Gaim supports sending and receiving files via AIM, receiving files via Jabber and IRC. File transfer receive code exists for MSN, but it is very flakey, and files are often corrupt. If you would like support for another protocol, get CVS and submit a patch using the generic file transfer API.

Supermount is convenient, but it can cause problems not only with k3b, but with certain drives trying to play music cds...(i.e. supermount wants to mount it and causes a kernel panic). If everything works for you, then leave it on. If you ever have any trouble with your Cdrom or Cdwriter, make sure that the first thing you try is turning off supermount. Example of disabling supermount:

In /etc/fstab/, change this:

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

to this:

/dev/scd0       /mnt/cdrom      auto    ro,noauto,user,exec     0 0

Of course if your cdrom is /dev/hdc, leave it as /dev/hdc, but for cd burning, most software won't even use it as a reader unless you use scsi emulation for it by adding

hdc=ide-scsi

to your append line in /etc/lilo.conf and rebooting, thus making your /dev/hdc /dev/scd0 (usually). And of course your burner has to have scsi-emulation.

That's all we are saying about supermount...it's usually the culprit in 99% of the problems with cd playing or burning.

So far so good. I've nailed a few other problems along the way that I hadn't posted that came up after my initial posting.

I will try aMSN of all the ones everyone else mentioned because it seems the closest to what I'm looking for. Good to know there is stuff out there. MSN Messenger is really nice and that was one thing I missed. However, this may be the solution. Kopete just is a little too buggy with file transfers for me right now.

Anyways, good to see I spawned other conversations. I'm still having trouble with my original posting: #4,#6. All the other ones I'm currently testing solutions mentioned through this forum.

Thanks everyone! I believe by the end of the summer, I'll have this just right.

6. Using Kooka, I scan a page and when i go to do the ocr thing, it asks for a "Path to 'gocr' binary". Can't fin "gocr" anywhere on my hard drive. Neither if I download the RPM and install it. right from the GOCR page. Anyone had trouble like this? So I can hit "Start OCR" but it sits there thinking forever.

Perhaps it installed it to directory that is not in your path.

su to root (and assuming you are still unable to run it, even as root), run a case insensitive search for it:

# find / -iname gocr

hi turi,

now that you -indirectly-solved my main problem with multisession cdrw's, I try to understand your scanner thing.

I don't understand exactly: does your scanner work? Is it an usb scanner? Which model? Is it only an ocr problem? Do you have a usb camera? Sorry, lol.

Ok, if your scanner is working.

1.I might be wrong but I found a gocr package made for MDK:

gocr-0.37-2mdk.rpm

gocr-gtk-0.37-2mdk.rpm

You'll find these rpm's on any ftp mirror of Mandrake software, in the /contrib part. Have you set up your urpmi sources yet? Do you use the MCC - software installation part for installing software?

( a personal note: this has been my first lesson in MKD Linux: if you are new, try to use basic or additional software that is made esp. for your distro - later on you are experienced enough to install all *rpm's or source packages - I have not reached this point yet)

2. Another frontend for scanning is the package Xsane. Works for me :D You'll find it on your install cd's. Just use the Mandrake Control Center, software install, search for xsane. Or if you like the shell, urpmi. Besides - are all 'sane' packages installed?

Slightly off-topic:

if you are new, try to use basic or additional software that is made esp. for your distro - later on you are experienced enough to install all *rpm's or source packages - I have not reached this point yet

I have reached this point some time ago to find I hardly ever have to.

urpmi package.rpm

works even on packages that are not specifically made for Mdk; as long as the dependency list doesn't contain anything that is not in the mdk onboard urpmi database, you're okay.

The only thing I have ever had to recompile are the Nvidia drivers, but with the new nvidia setup this too is a thing of the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if anyone is still following this, I've learned lots. Frustrating, but I still want to keep this OS.

I still want to be able to erase files from my CDRW multisession disk, I can't with K3b.

I still can't play movies right in my konqueror browser from www.apple.com/trailers. And I've tried installing every thing there is about codecs and quicktime. And configured it to the nuts. Still nothing.

No driver found for my usb videocam.

Got ocr working but it sucks. This is from a scanned computer printed document. Maybe it's my driver? Using Xsane for it.

Can't get my Epson front panel buttons working. Tried iscan install and don't know what that did.

There's more, but those are the ones that are bugging me. The fact that linux is SO stable makes me happy. However, the apps are not. OpenOffice, Mplayer, konqueror and Xsane have there moments.

Next week, I'm going to dare to get faxing working.

Enjoy the weekend! I'm off camping to forget about all this. At least for three days.