Anybody played with the 2.5 kernel ?

I've had varying success with 2.5.67-2.5.73. My problem boiled down to I could either get 2.5.xx's to work OK without serial drivers enabled, therefore no modem and internet connection, or enable serial drivers, get regular modem usage, but then have all sorts of bizarre file manager and console problems. l'd get weird hangs and freeze-ups, 4-8 minutes to open ~/home or different windows, couldn't do copy/paste operations, freezes on shutdown on a blue horizontally streaked screen, etc.

If I then recompiled without serial enabled, all the problems vanished. I never figured it out, or came up with a config file that eliminated even part of the problems. I'm waiting for the 2.6pre versions, which should be here very soon.

wrc1944

I recently learned you need to update these files to work with 2.5.xx kernels properly. I haven't hooked up my test box and tried it yet, so I can't say if it works, or not. I'm not quite yet willing to install them on my main box, although they are supposedly backwards compatible- but I've heard that before, and messed up my installation. I'll hook the test box up in a day or two as time allows, and give 2.5.75 a try with the upgraded files.

http://supermount-ng.sourceforge.net/mdk-25/

These are built specifically for Mandrake 9.1, so it's probably OK- but again, I can't vouch for doing this- I don't know if they coexist with the old versions for 2.4.xx kernels, or they replace the old ones, and are indeed backawards compatible. If anyone finds out before I do, please post here with your results. I'll do the same.

wrc1944