Help with Drivers for Speedtouch 330 USB Modem

superphysics

I have Mandriva 2008.1 (Spring), a brand new installation.

I need to connect to the internet with the Speedtouch 330 USB Modem.

I have Googled around for an effective way to use it. All that I can come up with is the linux-usb.org guide, and it's variants. But the critical problem with that for me is that I do not want it to run from boot - or in such a makeshift manner.

Fresh from Ubuntu 8.04, I had installed the Gnome USB ADSL Modem Manager that worked like a dream: double click to start the manager, right click menu, and connect. I would like something like that, if possible.

Help, please...

Click on the icon "configure your computer" and enter your root password. Then click on "Network and Internet". There you will be able to set up your internet connection.

If you do not want to connect at boot, then you will have to install rp-pppoe, rp-pppoe-gui.

Kieth

I don't remember anymore the different paths (as you mentioned). This might sound pretty stupid, but you could always try more than one. You can't do any harm to your system. You can always change and/or delete the "connections" that do not work. On more than one occasion I couldn't remember which "path" I had to take, so I tried one, then another (I was always sure it was one of 2 chooses). That way I was finally able to get things hooked up.

If you have a fast internet service, use "DSL", and/or "Ethernet". Mandriva will see your modem.

Sorry I can't be of more help. :woops:

Kieth

Did you buy the modem recently ???

I looked at its spec and it appears to be an ADSL USB equivalent of a WinModem. In other words crap. Sorry but it is.

No matter how hard you fiddle around with it with all the best intentions of help from members here at MUB, it will still be crap.

Google Wikipedia for it and you will see what crap specs it has.

You will be far better off cutting your losses and getting an ADSL modem that has a Lan connection. Ones with a single Lan port are pretty cheap nowadays. It is the multiple port models that are much dearer, but not all that much dearer.

Within 5 minutes of installing it you will be up and running.

When I got my Speedtouch 500 from Telstra/Bigpond I connected it up via USB (Win98 at the time) it took nearly an hour of mucking around to finally get it working in Windows.

When I tried using it in Mandrake/Mandriva it took even longer than that and yet it still wasn't stable. It was right here at MUB that someone mentioned that the 500 had a Lan connector. I didn't know anything about Lan but thought what the heck, I would give it a try. Obtained the appropriate cable and connected it up after removing the USB cable connection. I didn't know it was unnecessary so i had switched off the computer. Booted up, Went into MCC and followed the simple setting up and in 3 minutes I was online. Still got the same modem and have never had trouble ever since and the process is so simple.

Cheers. John.

@ Kieth: I did try all the possible paths I could possibly think might be related to my Modem. I've just figured out that Mandriva does not support this Speedtouch 330 without installing a slew of other things. Not only does it need drivers (which would have been reasonable enough) or a managing setup (which would still be reasonable), but a full set of other things too (Too lengthy to put here). And even that won't give me point-and-click running capabilities. I found out all that after looking around the internet for about 3 hours!

I sincerely appreciate your help.

@AussieJohn: I didn't buy the modem. I got it as the default Modem from my ISP (in Pakistan), and they refuse to let me use another one. I fully agree with you when you call it 'crap'. It's got a very unusual connecting method (after all, how many Modems connect via USB, and then refuse to work properly?). But nevertheless, I'm stuck with this thing. The ISP claims that it runs perfectly well on Windows (which, admittedly, it does). But in my country, nobody worries much about Linux when you can perfectly pirated Vista Ultimate and XP SP2 for the equivalent of $0.5

This one doesn't have any LAN connection option. Ah well, back to Ubuntu for me, then, where it works with that ADSL Gnome Manager thing.

Edited by superphysics

I did try all the possible paths I could possibly think might be related to my Modem.

I've never had to use that type of modem, but did you try installing the rp-pppoe and rp-pppoe-gui packages that Kieth suggested for you, and then setting up your connection with the rp-pppoe-gui?

Yes I knew that your model doesn't have a Lan connection.

If you did buy a reasonably priced one with Lan and used it, I have little doubt that your ISP wouldn't even know you were not using their supplied modem.

Can other more technically informed members inform me whether I am correct ???.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

@ Greg2: Yes, I did try it. Not with the GUI (it needs tk, and to get that with all it's dependencies means going online - which I can't. I got the main package via USB), but without it. The problem is that like all other tools, it goes via the Ethernet, not USB. Which is the whole blastedness of it all.

@ David Batson: It's isn't recognized as anything at all. No response, no notification, no indication that anything has been connected at all!

@ AussieJohn: Actually, that just may work! What do the more technical people say? I don't want to get in a jam!

Click on the icon "configure your computer" and enter your root password. Then click on "Network and Internet". There you will be able to set up your internet connection.

If you do not want to connect at boot, then you will have to install rp-pppoe, rp-pppoe-gui.

Kieth

In the connection properties for that connection (don't know where it is and don't have mdv atm but it's not hard to find) you can just select not to start at boot and then connect later on (be sure to also select allow users to start the connection)

@ ffi: I can find no option that would allow me to set up my Modem, let alone configure it... Mandriva shows no option of the kind that might help me.

@ arctic: That does work. So does the HowTo on linux-usb.sourceforge.net. But what does not happen is the capability to turn the connection on and off at will. My ISP charges me by the hour, so that's quite vital for me. Besides, these methods require downloading of one file after another - and I'm already hard pushed to come online.

If only there were a way to run the Gnome USB ADSL Manager on the Mandriva KDE....

http://www.squeezedonkey.com/wiki/linux/in...title=Main_Page

did you use this guide?

http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/mandrake/index.html

in this step

mandriva7.jpg

you can select to start the connection at boot or not, later on you can reconfigure the network interface in the network center

here a picture of the network center from where you can reconfugure:

2008-draknetcenter.png

edit: to launch the networkenter in a console as root enter draknetcenter

Edited by ffi