open office loads slow.

Guest glasknot

glasknot said it takes approximately 10 minutes to load. Considering the 800mhz athlon and 512mem, there's definitely something wrong going on. I have Duron 800Mhz and about 384mb ram, 7200rpm hdd - it takes about 1 minute to load.

try loading it from console, check if there's any errors. also check the logs, if any, in your open office user directory.

glasknot said it takes approximately 10 minutes to load.  Considering the 800mhz athlon and 512mem, there's definitely something wrong going on. I have Duron 800Mhz and about 384mb ram, 7200rpm hdd - it takes about 1 minute to load.

try loading it from console, check if there's any errors. also check the logs, if any, in your open office user directory.

24 sec to load on my work duron 750

256mb pc133 sdram, 5400rpm 20gb hdd.

significantly less time on my home 1800xp, 512mb pc2700, 7200rpm 80gb.

Guest seven212

Very strange that this program should take a minute to load, I mean Word takes a few seconds to load with my 700 in windows. Why would this program take so much longer than MS word?

Very strange that this program should take a minute to load, I mean Word takes a few seconds to load with my 700 in windows.  Why would this program take so much longer than MS word?

Well, why do yu think, does windoz take so long for startup?

It's the fact, that Microsoft loads ALL relevant Office libraries (.dll's) while starting up the system. Just a trick to offend the concurence.....

And if you compare it with Word 95, then the right level would be Kwrite, because of the limited features.

All in all there's one big reason for the time lack:

OOffice starts partly wine and java to work correctly, i don't know the sharing in the active version, but they want to go for java all in all.

While they are on the way, you get a "mixed" version, partly with windows-libraries, done via wine.

If someone heard sthg. else, please tell me. I like to be on the actual level of time ;-)