How come lm9.1 in so slow compared to win98?

Guest electronic spark

Guest electronic spark

I find multitasking and browsing and editing, the normal stuff so slow in lm9.1 compared to win98.

How can I find out what's slowing it down, tweek it etc.

I'm running a network server and firewall/ internet sharing.

Hi,

You can find out which processes are using which resources and then decide if they are needed or optimise them.

For instance if you aren't using HW acceleration on your graphics card then the processor is doing it.

The standard way to do this is in a console:

just type 'top'

These is also gtop which does the same thing in a graphical way. Look for what is using your cpu/memory.

If something seems to be using a lot it might just be misconfigured or you might have services running that you don't need.

If you see a process and don't know what is it then man is your friend.

Usually 'man <process name> ' will tell you about it.

If your confused then ask here.

Good look

you mean opening an app in (kde? gnome? other WM-window manager or DE-desktop environment?) or do you mean opening a webpage in a browser?

All my apps open a little slower for some reason, but my browsing is like 5 times faster (literally). Then again, in XP yesterday, my pc crashed simply coping files off a cd, so I'll take the slight speed hit to have a pc that works! PS in linux I use fluxbox which is WAY faster than kde or gnome...

You're running a bunch of servers in MDK 9.1 .... do you run the same things on Win98 ? Just disable the uneccessary stuff.

I've downgraded from a 2.5GHz AXP + nForce2 + dual channel DDR 220Mhz running WinXP to a 2.13GHz AXP + KT333 + single channel DDR 166MHz running MDK 9.1 (at first I used RedHat 9).... it wasn't really a downgrade as atm it's much faster (and sexier ! ) than it used to be :P

Just remember that no OS is fast (although this depends on how one perceives performance) out of the box. You need to do some tweakings.

Edit: wrt opening apps, initially it was a bit slow (and much slower when I used RH 9 for some reasons) but after disabling things I don't need, recompiling the kernel and disabling some fancy windows shadowing/animation yadda yadda (my vid card isn't good enough for these), everything loads much faster.

Also one thing to consider: if you're using cable internet and use bootp/dhcp to assign an IP addy to your NIC, it will slow down your comp big time. Don't ask me, I don't know why. It happens in all distro's I've tried. Always get a static IP for your NIC that handles the Internet connection.

Guest electronic spark

Hi I just got back.

I was replying to this post, almost done and I got logged right out :(

So here I am doing it over.

I use KDE and sometimes Gnome.

I mean from boot to applications like mozilla, moz. composer, galeon, konqueror (don't support flash), office, kwrite, spreadsheet all the way down to shutdown it is slower considerably than windoz98?

I use 32mb ATI Rage Fury 128 Pro, PIII 500mhz, but I'm comparing with same hardware.

I ran top:

top - 06:38:56 up 32 min, 3 users, load average: 0.07, 0.28, 0.43

Tasks: 92 total, 1 running, 91 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

Cpu(s): 5.2% user, 3.9% system, 0.0% nice, 90.9% idle

Mem: 126424k total, 116504k used, 9920k free, 4348k buffers

Swap: 506008k total, 26104k used, 479904k free, 38164k cached

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ Command

16600 root 18 -10 53124 9964 2092 S 2.6 7.9 0:11.26 X

16822 paul 14 0 54324 13m 10m S 2.3 11.1 0:02.55 kdeinit

16853 paul 16 0 996 996 772 R 2.0 0.8 0:01.52 top

16786 paul 13 0 53624 12m 9.9m S 1.3 10.5 0:01.70 kdeinit

16796 paul 10 0 61124 18m 14m S 0.7 15.3 0:09.37 kdeinit

16780 paul 11 0 52152 11m 9024 S 0.3 9.3 0:01.17 kdeinit

1 root 8 0 104 76 72 S 0.0 0.1 0:04.79 init

2 root 9 0 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.16 keventd

3 root 9 0 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 kapmd

4 root 19 19 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.02 ksoftirqd_CPU0

5 root 9 0 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:02.46 kswapd

6 root 9 0 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 bdflush

7 root 9 0 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 kupdated

8 root -1 -20 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.00 mdrecoveryd

12 root 9 0 0 0 0 S 0.0 0.0 0:00.03 kjournald

155 root 8 0 568 380 352 S 0.0 0.3 0:01.08 devfsd

250 root 9 0 0 0 0 S

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

BTW I was a user here for some time as 'bifki', now I'm using mandrake club. When I came back to installing 9.1 this board was gone or I just didn't know how to find it. It used to be MUO? I like this board!

I didn't read the new adds since last try, I better send this before it drops me??

Thanks in advance.

Paul :)

Guest electronic spark

"Also one thing to consider: if you're using cable internet and use bootp/dhcp to assign an IP addy to your NIC, it will slow down your comp big time. Don't ask me, I don't know why. It happens in all distro's I've tried. Always get a static IP for your NIC that handles the Internet connection."

OK I use sympatico adsl, it is slower when bootinh, I use dhcp for both local area network and adsl, but do you mean it runs slower when running too?

hmmm... strange I can't see all the posts while replying...be back soon

:)

Guest electronic spark

OK it just takes getting used to.. I went to change profile while replying and I lost my position on board...

OK, I installed everything on lm9.1 on pcg selection screen on left, no individual stuff, on the right side the kde, gnome, other dm, network server and firewall.

I don't really know what I need, I do need the network server, firewall and I also have network client installed - do I need it, I don't know. How do I know what I don't need, and once I know how do i disable it -- in mcc/system/processes and click 'stop' and check off start on boot?

BTW I use only lm now, I disabled win and floppy from my lilo. So I need this thing flying.

I have 3 win98 networked pc's and so far I don't even know if printer is working for them. I played around with samba and webmin but am confused right now.

For security reasons, I passwrded bios and disabled any stuff where my teenagers can mess with. They each have a login on my pc, but no root.

The other thing I need to figure out is: limits on downloads. I have 10gb bandwith per month. I want to limit the 6 users to 1 or 2 gb on this machine or from win98 box.

ok enough for now..

As far as starting applications, in addition to what has already been said, there is another aspect. Windows, when it runs, is much more monolithic. It contains, or will load upon boot, many facilities that you might need while you are logged on. Therefore, when a program like Internet Explorer is started, it starts with an advantage. It knows that most of things it needs are already installed - and it knows that it's running Windows, so it knows where to hook in to them.

On the other hand, Linux is much more modular. It doesn't load everything upon boot. Which means that when you start applications, they have to subcontract (as it were) out some features that are built into Windows, or the Windows applications. So while you might only be starting one application, that application might be starting eight others, and some of those eight might be spawning apps of their own. This makes it a little slower to initially load an app, but has its advantages. First, you can decide which programs you want to "subcontract," (don't like xv or some other image viewer, for example). Second, generally, if one of the modules (subcontractors) fails, and it dies - usually, it doesn't kill the app you started, much less the whole system.

Personally, I don't know that Windows is that much faster to boot up, as claimed. I've watched people boot, and while the splash screen, and then the desktop, might come up pretty fast, they end up just twiddling their thumbs for 2 to 3 minutes until the mouse cursor shows the system isn't busy.

Guest electronic spark

I don't know what this is for..

I don't want to disable anything right now, only one thing at a time, it took me some time to set up this machine to share internet connection, without having to configure it every time I turned on the pc (d-link eth card -non plug & play).. so bare with me:)

I have these running on boot:

devfsd

dhcpd

dm

fam

hardrake

internet

iptables

keytable

kheader

linuxconf

lisa

named

netfs

network

nfs

nfslock

partmon

portmap

postfix - I turned off

random

rawdevices - I turned off

rwhod

saslauthd - maybe I don't need this

shorewall

smb

sound

sshd

switchprofile

syslog

time

webmin - maybe I don't need it on all the time?

xfs

xinetd

:?

Guest electronic spark

Great response from all so far .. I appreciate it.

Now I have to take care of some other things like start another couple posts like why is my clock always reset to -4hrs?

I'll be back in few minutes. :)

Keep Smiling and Dream Big! - life is only a game.

"Also one thing to consider: if you're using cable internet and use bootp/dhcp to assign an IP addy to your NIC, it will slow down your comp big time. Don't ask me, I don't know why. It happens in all distro's I've tried. Always get a static IP for your NIC that handles the Internet connection."

OK I use sympatico adsl, it is slower when bootinh, I use dhcp for both local area network and adsl, but do you mean it runs slower when running too?

hmmm... strange I can't see all the posts while replying...be back soon

If you use ADSL (like I do, well I have both...) you don't need DHCP for your card that connects to the adsl modem (you can make it 192.168.0.1 if you want) and you definitely don't need dhcp for your LAN. Static IPs make things a lot faster in my experience.

If you're only using it to share the home Internet connection, you don't really need: dhcpd, named, netfs, nfs, rwhod, sshd, webmin and a few other things. Just switch them off at startup and only turn them on when you need them.

Personally, I don't know that Windows is that much faster to boot up, as claimed. I've watched people boot, and while the splash screen, and then the desktop, might come up pretty fast, they end up just twiddling their thumbs for 2 to 3 minutes until the mouse cursor shows the system isn't busy.

I can say that I'm very good at tweaking Windows, but still a lousy Linux tweaker, and I've found that if you tweak them to the max (max that I can) they all boot at the same speed (esp if you strip them down to basic stuff).

Although, as you have observed, Windows always reaches the desktop GUI faster than most Linux distro's. That's why people usually have the wrong impression that Windows boots faster.

Actually, I run Windows 98 on my ole K6-2 350MHz with 64MB of RAM. tried Mandrake Linux 8.2 with KDE on the same machine and it crawled. Linux can be as fast as Windows but not if you use KDE or Gnome.