Can't shutdown/restart/logout properly

GuoJing

Hi everyone :)

I just got Drake 9.1 installed, it's so much faster than RH9 and I love it :D

Anyway I have this weird problem: I can't shutdown/restart/logout properly using the little app at the bottom of the start menu. I'm talking about the logout thing you get at the bottom of the start menu, where you get a stupid dragon and 3 options: login as a different user || restart || shutdown. None of these works.

If I use that menu to perform any of the above actions, the monitor will go off, then the whole machine freezes: no display, no keyboard, no mouse. I have to do a hard reset or turn the whole thing off, which causes some HDD checker to run afterwards of course. The only way around it (that Ive found so far) is to run shutdown -r/-h as root :/

I've checked the boot log and all I get is that it fails to stop dm the display manager. :/ I have tried all display managers available, and have updated the packages, but I still have the same problem. Help please :)

Many thanks in advance

Hmmm could be a few things doing that.

First off you need a safe way to shutdown without risking damaging your filesystems.

One way:

open a terminal, root shell. type :

shutdown -h now

You might still have problems with your display manager

You can kill it explicitly using kill.

There are a few options: xdm, kdm, gdm or mdkdm.

ps -ef |grep dm should find it.

The process number is uin the far left.

You can kill it with

kill -9 <procnum>

Alternatively you should have an init script in /etc/init.d/<something to do thith dm>

You can try running this script with a stop from a root shell and watch the errors. the syntax is: /etc/init.d/xdmxxx stop (the x's are where im notr sure cos im on a win machine right now)

All the init scripts should have optional start|stop|restart|status

This is pointed to from

/etc/rc.d/rc5.d Sxxxxxxx

in

/etc/rc.d/rc4.d Kxxxxxxx (is the corresponding kill script)

Welcome to the board!!

Does the monitor turn off? or does it just go blank?

What happens with the shutdown command Gowator reccomended?

Try GNOME/IceWM or another environment (change it at the login) and see what happens.

James

Edit: I just noticed you're a melbournian too! whereabouts do you live?

Thanks for the quick replies :)

As I said in my original post, I have tried the shutdown command and it worked perfectly. I also checked the boot log to confirm that it stopped the dm successfully. I'll check these init scripts out.

To rcxau: I'm in North Balwyn :)

Welcome!

Didn't someone else have this prob and it was determined to be the dm (I think kdm or mdkkdm) with kde/kernel...or somehting? I would

1. install Xtart via Software Manager

2. disable the graphical environment at boot. MCC>System>DrakXServices and uncheck dm

After you login in console (init 3) type

Xtart

and select the number for the wm/DE you want.

If it is the dm.....which dm? Choose a diff dm MCC>Hardware>Graphical Display Manager (or something like that). I use gdm when I use a dm.

I usually shut down by typing "poweroff" in a console. It's just easier. I tried going through the log off process, and noticed that there are some items that fail to shut down properly! (Specifically gdm and mouse console.) There is apparently a problem that I have never encountered because of how I reboot or shut down.

There's always the acpi/apm issue as well, but most can use apm though they are acpi. If you are acpi you might want to ensure its use by appending

acpi=on

in your /etc/lilo.conf, and if not, ensure it disabled with

acpi=off

and apm will be used. The kernel uses the first it finds otherwise. The command

poweroff

is sent to /proc/acpi/events when acpi is used. Be sure to install

acpi

acpid

and enable them at boot in DrakXServices.

Sorry, double post :/

The monitor just turns off then nothing happens. I can't even use the keyboard so I can't do anything except pressing the reset button.

Just a thought here. Perhaps the shutdown of X is really what is screwing up here (which would cause the monitor to go blank, you would get no response to your mouse, and no obvious response to your keyboard). What happens if after the monitor goes black, you try bringing up a virtual console, with <Ctrl><Alt>+F2 ?

Also, you say you have to do a hard reset. Have you tried the SysRq process first, to attempt a clean shutdown?

Hold down <Alt> & SysRq (might be Print Screen on your keyboard) and type, (each is seperate ... i.e., alt-sysrq-r then alt-sysrq-s, alt-sysrq-e etc.)

R S E I U B

Another thing to try: what happens if you select shutdown from the login menu?

Once logged in you won't get there if the choice 'login as different user' doesn't work without killing X, but it's worth a try: ctrl-alt-backspace should get you back to the login menu, where you can do shutdown/reboot.

GuoJing

If this isn't a problem with the graphics card ....

Can you confirm which login manager is running:

Just type

ps -ef |grep dm

Post the results back...

The job of dm (kdm,gdm etc) is to bring the user automatically to a login screen and restart x. If you 'temp' disable it you can switch between graphical mode and console just by killing the Xserver with ctrl+alt+bkspc

If you are having problems with it then the first thing to do is disable it becuase if you keep using the power button sooner or later you'll loose data. No only that but its much quicker if you don't need to reboot all the time....

Just a thought here.<snip>

None of these works. The keyboard and the mouse are all disabled :/

What is your graphics card? There's a bug in the new XFree for certain ATI Radeons with exactly the symptoms you describe. There's also an unofficial patch out for it.

ooooh interesting ! I have a Radeon 7000 (VE). Doens't MDK 9.1 use XFree 4.3 ? As I didn't have this problem in RedHat 9 which uses XF 4.3. Anyway I'll look for that patch.

to Gowator: by default it's mdkdm. I've tried kdm and gdm, both have the same problem.

Last night, because a keyboard software screwed up my font server and killed harddrake (beats me, I dont know why :/ ) and as this problem still persisted, I decided to reinstall. For half a day (with few reboots and shutdowns) I didn't have that problem at all ! :D However :/ a few hours ago when I rebooted, the same problem came back :/ and the disk checker scared the hell out of me when it asked me to log in as root and repair the filesystem :? I did that then rebooted again, it's all good now. I don't think I will ever use that shutdown box again :P

I'll stick to the "shutdown -r / -h now" command until I check out that XFree patch.