Mandriva 2008 Spring DVD - Install help (please)

dubbed

Dear mandrivausers

Please bear with me on this - I am a complete Linux newbie ... but a newbie commited to learn something ... new.

System:

1GB ram

Western Digital Caviar HD @ 15gb (has Unbuntu installed) or 250gb Maxtor PATA DiamondMax21 (formatted)

Athlon 1800xp

GeForce 2 Graphics (I think) - The mobo doesn't have ob graphics.

Initial problem: Mandriva 1008 Spring DVD (from Linux Format magazine) - Splash screen loads. Click on Install. Kernel loads 100%. Second splash screen with progess bar in bottom left starts, and then hangs at about 99%.

I have tried to install on a freshly formatted 250gb HD, then on another HD which has ubuntu 8.04 (note, ubuntu works fine - only I don't know how to install drivers and what not!). It hangs on both, as above.

So, I've spent a week searching for resolves for this, have found a few answers that didn't work, and am now at a loss.

I have tried modifying the Boot Option with "linux noapic nolapic acpi=off ide=nodma" (whithout the quotes) in various order - some, all, one off, etc but get no where at all. It could be that I am modifying the Boot Option incorrectly, as I am adding the noapic to the end of the string that is automatically there.

Eg: initrd=alt0/all.rdz automatic=method:cdrom vga=788 splash=verbose linux noapic nolapic acpi=off ide=nodma

I have tried Splash=0 and verbose, as well. Also, reducing the screensize option.

Verbose gives me a better idea of what is happening:

Loading programme in to memory (100% red bar)

proceeding, please wait...

exited abnormally -- received signal 11

sending termination signals... done

sending kill signals...done

unmounting file systems...

/tmp/media

/tmp/stage2

/dev/loop0

you may safely reboot or halt your system

Any help would be very gratefully received.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds to me like the disc you got might be bad, but that's just a theory. You say Ubuntu loaded with no issues, right?

What you might try, if you've got a good connection and some time to spare, is to download a new 2008.1 i586 dvd iso from one of the mirrors, burn it, and go from there. That might be better for you.

Make sure you get the i586 version of the disc, not the 64 bit version. That also could be your issue but I don't know for sure.

Eg: initrd=alt0/all.rdz automatic=method:cdrom vga=788 splash=verbose linux noapic nolapic acpi=off ide=nodma

From when I usually do this, I put it on the kernel line, rather than the initrd, this could be why it's not working for you. And if you add to the kernel line, you don't need to put linux, just the noapic, etc, etc, is OK to put here.

liquidzoo, thank you for the very prompt reply. Much appreciated.

Ok. Yep, Ubuntu is installed (I can't get the USB W/Lan to work, but that's another issue).

I would download the dvd iso, but I have no dvds. What I did download, though, is mandriva-linux-one-2008-spring-KDE-int-cdrom-i586 and that just goes belly up moreso than the dvd.

From when I usually do this, I put it on the kernel line, rather than the initrd, this could be why it's not working for you. And if you add to the kernel line, you don't need to put linux, just the noapic, etc, etc, is OK to put here.

:unsure: right, this is where I put on my newbie t-shirt. Where is the kernel line? I have a feeling that many will be laughing at that question

When you're booting the CD, I think there is an option you can choose (I've not booted it so unsure), but you can edit the boot parameters to boot with those options. If that's what you've already done, then I guess it must be different to editing a standard boot config from when it's already installed on your machine. I've not got the CD to hand, so can't tell you exactly what option it is. I'm probably more than useless at this stage :)

When you boot the CD and get the intial menu, what options do you see? Post here, and I'll then tell you which one to choose - unless of course, someone has the CD and posts back before to say which one to choose and edit.

Thanks Ian

From the Spring DVD I get 4 options -

Boot from hard disk (which boots Ubuntu)

Install Mandriva Linux 2008 Spring

Rescue System

Memory Test

Pressing F3 gives me more options - F1 > F6 : Help / Language / 800x600 / DVD / Driver / Kernel Option

There is also a Boot Option line, where I was entering the noapic, etc

I have just found that pressing "ESC" starts a text mode interface, with Boot:

I tried noapic nolapic ... nothing happened. Interestingly, I tried linux noapic nolapic and it set off ... but then went back to the progress bar and hanged at about 99% as before.

EDIT: And, the keyboard goes down (no response & and flashing caps lock)

Edited by dubbed

OK, we need the kernel option line - give that a go and add the noapic stuff. The flashing lights on keyboard indicate kernel panic when it couldn't boot.

From the subject: "Mandriva 2008 Spring DVD" :)

When you said you tried all the kernel options, was it on the line that I mentioned or was it on the original line that you tried before my suggestion? If before, try like I mentioned and see if it helps. If it doesn't, please try the Mandriva 2008 ONE Live CD to see if you can boot this. The Live CD is a good test to see if your hardware is supported without actually installing the operating system. This can also rule out if it's a problem with the install DVD or your hardware.

Just out of curiosity: is the first harddrive a SATA drive? I remember that some months ago, there was a huge problem reported with almost every linux distro when using PATA and SATA drives. Maybe the problem is located there. :unsure: