Mandriva 2008 Spring DVD - Install help (please)

dubbed

Ian/all - thanks for your help on this.

Firstly, the One CD -

This gets as far as the first progess bar (from the graphic menu - boot from CD), and halts with keyboard caps led flashing. Kernel panic. However, the CD boots first time on my laptop, and runs very nicely! I tried this late last night, but was a bit scared that I might bork my Vista laptop. I needn't have worried, as it worked a treat (Live).

The Spring DVD -

I'm typing this from memory (I'm at work)

From the graphic menu, and pressing F3, enables more options, F6 being the kernel options. I have tried booting under all F6 kernal options. Also, as mentioned, pressing F3 brings up the Boot Option line, of which I have tried various additions to the end of that line (noapic, nolapic, etc).

Additionally, when pressing escape from the graphic menu the is a pop-up box asking if I want to exit to text area ... I assumed that this is what you meant by the "kernel line". From this black screen, with BOOT: in top left, I have tried "noapic nolapic", nothing happens. When used with "linux noapic nolapic" it does begin a sequence, starting with "linuz" I think. But, then returns to the progress bar and halts at about 99%.

That's about as far as it all goes. I could upload some photos of these steps, if you think it would help.

Can you confirm where the kernel line is?

Many thanks.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it does begin a sequence, starting with "linuz" I think. But, then returns to the progress bar and halts at about 99%.

That'll be showing vmlinuz probably as it boots up the system - kernel stuff.

It will be difficult to ascertain what's going on, but I think what we could do with knowing:

1. Motherboard, manufacturer/model?

2. Disk controller type - IDE/SATA/SCSI?

processor we know, I have an AMD Athlon XP1800+ and don't experience the problems you have, but I'm using standard onboard IDE and a Gigabyte GA-7VTXE motherboard, 1GB of RAM. Well, I say standard, the IDE is a VIA chipset, and supported no problems.

If you've got Windows on the machine, open up the Device Manager and then check out the stuff here, so we can see the make/model of your hardware. It's freaking out somewhere, but what would be good also is.

1. Boot machine normally, press ESC to get verbose boot mode so we can see the screen, system loading and then finishing up with the kernel panic - it can help us see where the problem is perhaps.

2. Take a picture of this, as clear as possible and post it on here so we can see this screen of info. Make sure it's clear, so that we can read it - it will be better than you writing all the info down - but normally the last few lines of boot should give us the hint as to what went wrong.

Just out of curiosity: is the first harddrive a SATA drive? I remember that some months ago, there was a huge problem reported with almost every linux distro when using PATA and SATA drives. Maybe the problem is located there. :unsure:

I'm pretty sure that both are PATA - 40 Pin IDE cable dictates that, doesn't it? I will confirm this evening

1. Motherboard, manufacturer/model?

2. Disk controller type - IDE/SATA/SCSI?

If you've got Windows on the machine, open up the Device Manager and then check out the stuff here, so we can see the make/model of your hardware. It's freaking out somewhere, but what would be good also is.

1. Boot machine normally, press ESC to get verbose boot mode so we can see the screen, system loading and then finishing up with the kernel panic - it can help us see where the problem is perhaps.

2. Take a picture of this, as clear as possible and post it on here so we can see this screen of info. Make sure it's clear, so that we can read it - it will be better than you writing all the info down - but normally the last few lines of boot should give us the hint as to what went wrong.

I will follow up this evening (wife permitting).

Just out of curiosity: is the first harddrive a SATA drive? I remember that some months ago, there was a huge problem reported with almost every linux distro when using PATA and SATA drives. Maybe the problem is located there. :unsure:

I dont believe thats the issue, my main linux box is an AMD X25600 w/ 4GB ram and 3 SATA and 2 PATA's, and i havent had any issues.

HOWEVER when I did my 1st install, I did UNPLUG every drive EXCEPT the SATA I wanted as a boot drive.

BUT I just did a clean install last night (wanted to get rid of KDE4) and with all drives plugged in, had no issue.

j

Ok. I got another DVD of Spring 2008, today. Same thing happens.

One thing I should correct, from my opening post - the Graphics card is a GEForce 4 MX 440 (not GEF2).

I'm going to say that the 15.3gb HD that I'm trying to install to the most (the one with Ubuntu safely installed) is IDE PATA. The 250gb HD is definitely PATA.

As for the motherboard, I honestly can't remember. I can't even remember when I bought it.

There is no Windows OS on any drives.

I'm sorry if this is not much help, for those helping.

Edited by dubbed

How long ago when you bought the motherboard/computer? Any bits replaced since it was bought? Or is it all original stuff.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce 4 TI 4400, so it's not going to be your video card that's the problem. Kernel panic is being caused by something, but I need to see that screen. Please boot, press ESC, then let us see the last messages on screen before it does the kernel panic. Without this, we're not gonna be able to help you.

Also, we could do with knowing what the IDE/PATA controller is.

Looks like your IDE controller is a via chipset like mine then :)

Sadly though, that last error doesn't help much only suggesting that you might not have any memory in your system or that it's not recognised it. However, if Ubuntu does, then I would expect your system to be OK. Was there anything higher above the symlink stuff?

Long shot, but try booting with these parameters:

acpi=off apm=on apm=power-off

otherwise, just try solely with:

ide=nodma

to see if that helps. Otherwise, I'm unsure of what to try next.

Hmm, one more thing - did you check the md5sums of the iso's you downloaded to verify that they were downloaded successfully without any sort of corruption? I find it a bit weird that it doesn't seem to give any particular error, but random stops in slightly different places.

It was suggested to me today, that I should (perhaps) change the bios RAID settings to "not do RAID"

So, I checked the bios and can not see RAID anywhere in the v6.00PG - yes, it's old - anywhere.

Does anyone think A. This is worth trying? B. Where the RAID is on v6.00PG?

Last ditch efforts before everything goes in to the bin ;)