Unable to enter file:/mnt/cdrom. You do not have access righ

Guest Creopan

Guest Creopan

Why do I receive this error message whenever I try to access either my CDROM or CDRW with a music CD inserted? I have no trouble accessing data CDs like the Mandrake CDs.

A music cd doesn't have a filesystem to access, so you can't mount it. You can play the music in it or copy the tracks to your harddisk, but certainly you won't be able to cd into an un-existant filesystem.

Probably the error you get is related to that fact.

Guest Creopan
A music cd doesn't have a filesystem to access, so you can't mount it. You can play the music in it or copy the tracks to your harddisk, but certainly you won't be able to cd into an un-existant filesystem.

Probably the error you get is related to that fact.

Ok, that makes sense. So how do I go about playing a music CD?

there are a couple options: XMMS, which you do open location and put in...erm...probably /dev/cdrom or, depending on what desktop you use (KDE or GNOME) they both have their own cd players. GRIP is another option, which can both play CDs and rip them to OGG or MP3 (for mp3 you need to get yourself an encoder)

Guest Creopan
there are a couple options: XMMS, which you do open location and put in...erm...probably /dev/cdrom or, depending on what desktop you use (KDE or GNOME) they both have their own cd players.  GRIP is another option, which can both play CDs and rip them to OGG or MP3 (for mp3 you need to get yourself an encoder)

I tried (in XMMS) both '/mnt/cdrom' & '/dev/cdrom', neither of which were accepted.

I also tried Grip, but it, too, will not recognize the music CD. I set the option to 'autoplay upon insertion' & this, as well, has no response.

Guest Creopan
what are the /dev/ entries for your cdroms?  /dev/cdrom, /dev/scd0, /dev/hdd?

According to the Mandrak Control Center:

CDRW=/mnt/cdrom

CDROM=/mnt/cdrom2

I tried KsCD and it recognizes the music CD and I can play it, but no sound. My sound card is functioning, however, with mp3s.

ok, /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom2 are the mount points. that is, if you mount a data cd the files will show up in those directories. the entries in /dev are the actual devices, which are what you want to point to in the case of playing a music cd. your cdrw drive is most likely /dev/scd0 (scd0 stands for scsi device 0, since cd writers are emulated to be scsi drives)

as for no sound, is this system a prebuilt one? did you try both cdroms? there is a line (wire) that has to go from your cdrom to your sound card...one of your cd players may not have this connection (but one of them should). also, you can run aumix and look to see if it's muted (most likely it will either be "line", "cd", or "aux")

Guest Creopan
ok, /mnt/cdrom and /mnt/cdrom2 are the mount points.  that is, if you mount a data cd the files will show up in those directories.  the entries in /dev are the actual devices, which are what you want to point to in the case of playing a music cd.  your cdrw drive is most likely /dev/scd0 (scd0 stands for scsi device 0, since cd writers are emulated to be scsi drives)

as for no sound, is this system a prebuilt one?  did you try both cdroms?  there is a line (wire) that has to go from your cdrom to your sound card...one of your cd players may not have this connection (but one of them should).  also, you can run aumix and look to see if it's muted (most likely it will either be "line", "cd", or "aux")

Ok, looking under 'Hardware' in 'Mandrake Control Center' I see the dev associations to which you refer. I built the system myself & I'm pretty sure (been a while since I've been under the hood) there is a cable from one of my CD devices attached to the soundcard. I'll check the connectiion.

Thanks! :D

/dev/hdc if it's a regular cdrom, /dev/scd0 if it's a burner ;-)

and in my experience you have to tell xmms where to look...maybe i've been doing something the hard way :?

Guest Creopan
I built the system myself...
good! it's always helpful when someone did it themselves so they know what's hooked up inside. :-D

Still haven't had the chance to look under the hood, but I do know this, music CDs play under WinXP in the CDROM drive. Also, Kscd see's the music CD and gets the Title/Track info. It plays... but no sound!

After you've inserted the CD open sond mixer(so that all the contrlols are showing - if you've a volume control on the panel right-click it). Grab the pcm buttons and move 'em. And probably the CD buttons. You should get sound. If you reboot it'll go away again though. It's a very annoying bug.

Finlay