gentoo gets the fork

tyme

after reading through some of his little write up, I'm sort of feeling the urge to remove gentoo from my system....i was unaware that gentoo was actually for-profit....(or did someone tell me that before? I can't remember....)

maybe I'll put arch on my main drive, and install mandrake on my secondary...being that I'm getting into this whole update CD thing, having an install of Mandrake my be useful for testing purposes.

i was unaware that gentoo was actually for-profit....

Uuummm.....I haven't even gone to the link and I've never had the luxury of thrying gentoo, but......what do you mean?......would you work for free?

sorry, i should have clarified. i was under the impression it was a non-profit type of deal, sort of a community thing-like debian. my apologies for not clarifying :)

the for-profit does not bother me it is the blatant act to hide it and the potential playing down of users and developers work. if this guy's claims are correct the two head cheeses at gentoo are egotistical parasites.....i hate parasites that masquerade as dogooders. they took a good chunk out of me at libranet.

the for-profit does not bother me it is the blatant act to hide it and the potential playing down of users and developers work.
aye, that's what bothers me. since previously i thought they were non-profit and community based i had no issues with them. in light of new evidence (as would be said in court) i'm taking a recess to regroup.

• 2 weeks later...

..just think what would have happend if Mandrake DIDNT fork from Red Hat....

Back on topic. Typipcally once people are doing something for money and no longer because they enojy it, the project suffers, and tends to die. I think it was a good idea to fork gentoo. I like the portage system, and well, there needed to be another Distro with it. IMO I would like the fork to have a more user firendly install....

....ok stick a fork in me I am done.....

..just think what would have happend if Mandrake DIDNT fork from Red Hat....
I didn't know Mandrake was a fork, I thought it was just RPM based...forked usually implies someone who was part of the project leaves and starts a new one (atleast, in my view of things)