Graphics running slowly

Andrewski

Hi, I'm a bit confused. I heard that Linux runs multimedia better than Windows, and as a new user, I must say my expectations have been high. I was enthusiastic to install an astronomy modeling program called Celestia, but it ran very slowly. I was also trying out the included games that came with Mandrake and was less than happy with the results (video ping-pong sounds fun!)

Are my expectations too high, or should I expect a good deal of tweaking to get it to work well?

I'm running:

Pentium 4 1.3GHz

256MB RAM

NVidia GeForce2 MX400 (32MB VRAM)

Thanks, as always.

Are you running the Nvidia drivers or just the standard Mdk install version? That makes a BIG difference in video. Your speed should be reasonably good with the hw you have... granted with more faster cpu and more ram you could do more, but I get good results with a 32mb Nvidia tnt2 which is much older. I run a Athlon 1600 XP here so speed is about the same as your P4.

Do a search on the this board for NVIDIA and you'll see several posts on how to install the nvidia drivers. There are many helpful posts on the board and search will help you find answers like this.

The new version from nvidia is working fine for me. You do have to edit a file, but if you follow the FAQ and README instructions it is pretty simple to do. If you hit a snag, let us know. We'll all pitch in and help!

Hi, I'm assuming that I download the Linux IA32 version (it mentions Red Hat and Mandrake), which downloads in a .run file....

How do I kill my xserver? It says I have to do that to properly install. I tried

ps -A | grep x

and only one thing came up that was x-related: xscreensaver.

I'm running Gnome, btw.

That's capital X :)

At the lilo boot screen, hit Esc then type

linux 3 <and hit Enter>

Or from within X, Ctrl>Alt>F2, the login as root and do;

service dm stop

When you're done installing nvidia, do;

service dm start

I prefer the second myself.

BVC,

Thanks.

In my xfree86 config file (/etc/X11/XF86Config-4), the NVidia instructions tell me to make sure I have

Load "glx"
in the Module section. In my file it says
Load "glx" # 3D layer
. Is that ok, or should I change it?

Thanks, I did that; I just had a question about that specific line.

NM, I checked NVidia's website and it seem ok.

--Andrew

"You mean other forums exist?!" --Me, responding to my friend's comment about me posting on here so much... :oops:

BVC,

Thanks. 

In my xfree86 config file (/etc/X11/XF86Config-4), the NVidia instructions tell me to make sure I have

Load "glx"
in the Module section. In my file it says
Load "glx" # 3D layer
. Is that ok, or should I change it?

#3D layer is just a comment and is not read in the configuration. It's just information for we humans.

It's from a "cartoon" on Cartoon Network that comes on during the "Adult Swim" time on certain nights. It's Sealab 2021. In the one episode, there's an alarm going off and they have a news channel (which is talking about sealab being about to blow up) on the monitor in the main control room. The news channel cuts to "choppy dave" and the helicopter explodes. then, the head of the sealab says...that quote :). It's funny 'cuz the guy is completely clueless that where he is is probably going to blow up, and the news channel is telling him this but he ignores it...but when the chopper explodes, he's suddenly paying attention.

you'd have to see the episode :-) it's just funny to me. HJ (another user on this board) understands it (he's an adult swim junkie too).