Broadcom card on Dell Inspiron 1501 [solved]

Guest ChooseLife

Guest ChooseLife

Hello everyone,

I just tried Mandriva One (2008 Spring) Live CD on Dell Inspiron 1501 and I absolutely love it :)

However, the network card is not working properly. Hardware is Broadcom 100Base ethernet BCM4401-B0.

The card is detected by Mandriva, Control Center shows it as "Broadcom BCM4401-B0" and assigns to eth1 (eth0 is a wireless BCM43xx card, which is also not working, but I need at least ethernet first). I believe the module Mandriva loads for the card is b44. The actual problem is that while the card seems to be installed properly, it does not talk to other hosts on the network - does not pick up IP via DHCP nor does it work with manual IP assignment. (arping does not work either)

I suspect the issue is in the driver, but googling did not reveal anyone having troubles with this card.

Could anyone provide any ideas, please? I'm fairly competent with Linux in general, but hardware drivers is my weak area.

TIA

He's not talking about wireless, just simple ethernet.

My wife happens to use Mdv 2008.0 on a Dell Inspiron 1401 (probably the same ethernet driver), and ethernet is working fine. I'll soon switch it to Mdv 2008.1; I'll see…

Yves.

2008 detected the ethernet card in my inspiron 1521 right off the bat. not sure why it's not working for you. wireless was a little tuffer but it will work. sorrry i can't be of more help.

Guest ChooseLife

Thanks for replies. Today I burnt another copy of the same .iso image, ran it and installed system onto the laptop. Then I came back home and when I tried installed system, the card started working :) So I'm going to blame poorly written media.

Cheers

thats cool, glad you got it running.

i amalways surprised how the little things make a big difference.

i just installed BEL http://www.pclosbe.org/ on a spare macine.

since its a mdv remaster/remastered all went as expected, or so i thought.

i setup an ftp server, samba server, vnc server and then couldnt figure out why i ciuldnt see any of them.

turns out BEL, as good as it is, doesnt autromatially setup my nic

sometimes its in the details!