Cant find a dialer (eg. Kppp or WvDial) (2cds MDK9.1)

sud_crow

Hi everyone,

--

Want to read the whole story, start here, just the actual problem, go to the 'doted' line,

---

Well after searching i found one person having the same issue but was on mandrakeexpert.com and it didnt had an answer, so, here i am!

this is the problem:

I first downloaded the 1st cd of MDK9.1, installed what i could, liked what i saw and decided to dwnld the 2nd, the problem is that i have dial up! so it takes quite some time to get the whole ISO file down, once i did it, i tryed to install the packages missing, and coulnd find the way. so i decided to go from the start all over again, and reformated the partitions, all of them.

Then i had 2 cds, started the installation, selected what i wanted and everything run 'smooth' until the very last part, when it asked the 3rd cd, i sayd NO! i dont have it.

so the installation, continued and finished right.

Once i had the system running i went through a lot of trouble trying to get online, becouse at first, i coulnd get the modem right on MCC, then i couldnt find KPPP so, im actually getting online through MCC DrakC. but its quite boring (to say it nicely)

FINALLY!

................................................................................

I installed MDK9.1 with 2cds only

Cant seem to find any internet dialer

Is there something wrong with my MDK??

Is Kppp and all the Internet Dialers soft on the 3rd CD??

If so:

How can i do to get Kppp or some other Internet Dialer?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO GET SPEND YOUR TIME HELPING!

-----------

Forgive my english, its not my native language and its a bit 'rusty´ 'couse i dont use it quite much lately.

The easiest way for you to get a dialer would be to simply get a few rpms off of one of the mirror sites that host the core files. You can get the kppp dialer here -

ftp://public.ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/man...-31mdk.i586.rpm

Or from rpmfind or any other mirror. You can also get wvdial the same way, although you will need a few dependencies, like wvstream-something and one or two others. An rpm -ivh on the file will tell you what you need.

Just a note, the 9.1 rpms cannot be found on rpmfind. It seems that they only have rpms up to 9.0 as of now. Lets hope they fix that. You should be able to find all the rpms on the mirror I linked to, or any of the "core file"plf mirrors that you can get to on the easy urpmi site - http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php

Anyway if you snag any of those rpms you can just add them as a local source in urpmi sources manager off off "config > packages" . Specify the path and hit update once or twice to make sure it takes, (it always bugs out on me once or twice when I do so) and the dependencies, if there are any, will be taken care of for you when you install via rpmdrake or urpmi. Of course if you already have most of kde on your computer I imagine a normal "rpm -ivh" will work just fine for kppp. Wvdial will need a few more packages like I said earlier, I'm not sure what discs those would be on so you might look at the mirrors.

Hi,

Well i downloaded the RPM from the first link, worked beautifully!

So im already kppping ;-)

Thanks for everything,

Since im pretty new with linux (althouh i´ve tryed 3 or 4 distros), i would like to know if in Gnome i have a Gppp or something like that, and if its also on the 3er CD and if so i have to download it from the same source where i downloaded Kppp (i can search for it, its no big deal now that i know where).

BTW, if i do a startx then starts KDE with de MDK display manager, what command do i issue to start Gnome without making it my default WM?

Thanks again!!!

BTW, if i do a startx then starts KDE with de MDK display manager, what command do i issue to start Gnome without making it my default WM?

install the Xtart package. it will provide you with a list of all (properly) installed window/desktop managers in your system. i dont know which cd it is on but its just a small package so downloading it wont be a problem.

as for the dialer, try to figure out how to work wvdial. i converted to using it because i can connect to my dial-up ISP faster as i dont have to wait for kppp to load. :)

ciao!

Gnomeppp is broken and no longer in devel. It's always been horrible so don't bother. For gnome your best bet is wvdial but that takes a little command line work to get it going for users. The modem-lights/wvdial combo works great! There's also a gtdial (not gtkdial), but I've only briefly used it in Libranet2.8 and went with wvdial.

Not sure I understand your other question. If you mean startx from console (init 3) then you'll need an ~/.xinitrc (/home/your_username/.xinitrc) script with whichever DE/wm you want to start with startx. Here's mine, but all you really need is

#!/bin/bash

exec /usr/bin/startgnome

#exec /usr/bin/startkde

#!/bin/bash

#======START PROGRAMS=======#

#(sleep 10; gkrellm) &

#(sleep 5; artsplay /home/soundz/Save.wav & exit) &

#(sleep 4; Eterm --trans -g 80x77+0+0) &

#=======MISC=======#

#(sleep 7; gnome-settings-daemon) &

#(sleep 2; gnome-theme-properties) &

#~/setbkgrd.sh

#=======WAIMEA=======#

#export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/usr/lib/qt3/lib/

#export OPERA_FORCE_JAVA_ENABLED=1

#####export LC=C 

#####export LC_ALL=C 

#export QT_XFT=true

#export GDK_USE_XFT=1

#(sleep 10; gkrellm) &

#(sleep 4; Eterm --trans -g 80x77+0+0) &

#/usr/bin/artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -s 60 -m artsmessage -l 3 -f &

#enable_X11_numlock &

#(sleep 8; aterm -T WvDial -tr +sb -bg black -fg yellow -bw 0 -e wvdial) &

#(sleep 1; xset s off s noblank dpms 0 0 0) &

#(sleep 12; idesk) &

#/usr/bin/wampager &

#exec /usr/X11R6/bin/waimea --menufile /home/bvc/waimea/menu

#=========GNOME2========#

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/usr/lib/qt3/lib/

export OPERA_FORCE_JAVA_ENABLED=1

export LC=C 

export LC_ALL=C 

export QT_XFT=true

export GDK_USE_XFT=1

###(sleep 5; /usr/bin/esd -terminate -nobeeps -as 2 -spawnfd 15) &

(sleep 3; play /home/soundz/maxmsn.wav) &

(sleep 2; wvdial $*) &

(sleep 10; xset s off s noblank dpms 0 0 0) &

exec /usr/bin/startgnome

#========KDE3-1=======#

#export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/usr/lib/qt3/lib/

#export OPERA_FORCE_JAVA_ENABLED=1

##export LC=C 

##export LC_ALL=C 

#export QT_XFT=true

#export GDK_USE_XFT=1

###(sleep 13; kppp -c MLI) &

#(sleep 2; wvdial $*) &

##(sleep 8; aterm -T WvDial -tr +sb -bg black -fg yellow -bw 0 -e wvdial) &

#(sleep 1; xset s off s noblank dpms 0 0 0) &

#exec /usr/bin/startkde

Thnx again!

Well, i never used WvDial, so i have no clue how good it is, and i dont know if i understand what you say about its faster than Kppp, can you explain it better?

About Gnome, when i send a 'startgnome' it tells me about some error, i cant post the exact one now, but i will later.

I just want to have the posibility when i boot, to start kde or gnome at my plesure.

8)

Well, i never used WvDial, so i have no clue how good it is, and i dont know if i understand what you say about its faster than Kppp, can you explain it better?

let me put it this way. i use fluxbox as my window manager because for me the loading time of kde is similar to the bootup time of windows,meaning i am left twiddling my thumb while i wait. with fluxbox i can use my computer in a little above 1 minute from the point where linux starts loading. to make matters short it means i want to squeeze speed out of my computer as much as i can. i also use aterm instead of konsole because of the same reasons.

whenever i start kppp, and being a kde applicaiton, i had to wait again while all the dependency libraries are loaded in the backgound. that makes me wait more or less 90 seconds before i can use it.

enter wvdial. now that i have configured it i just open an aterm terminal (using a predefined fluxbox shortcut key), and run an alias to start wvdial. if i dont get a busy response from my isp i can get connected in around 3-5 minutes from the moment i start the pc. not bad. i just leave the terminal hanging and terminate the connection by letting the window have the focus and pressing control+c.

note that wvdial requires root access to i have setup sudo to be able to use wvdial safely (and thus the need to have an alias).

ciao!