IE6 compatibility

Rowan

Hello all.

I am currently running Firefox 1.5.0.7 on Mandriva 2006 and I have found a need to use an IE6 compatable browser. Are there currently any browsers out that will allow me to view 'IE6 and above' sites ?

I don't want to upgrade Firefox to 2.0 if it won't work in this situation.

Many thanks

1) You should upgrade to firefox 2.0 anyways (in fact it may be prudent to update to a more recent version of Mandriva)

2) What site is telling you you can't view it? The only time Firefox is "incompatible" with a website is if they are using ActiveX controls, or some other IE-specific tools. Otherwise, they're lying to you.

You can install the user-agent switcher plugin in Firefox and 'pretend' your IE when you need to use IE for specific operations. I have this with some problem pages.

Thanks Tyme but I tried 2008 and could not get it to work properly on my system. I was unable to configure the graphics and ended up doing three installations in two days just trying to get it to cooperate. So I went back to 2006 Powerpack.

The site that I am trying to view is: http://www.mainchain.net

It contains details of my pay cheque (work done) and is used by the largest trucking company in New Zealand.

If you can tell me what is going on I would be grateful. I suspect that this system is Windows exclusive because an IT person that I have spoken to told me that some systems will only recognise Windows - I don't know if this is correct or not. Mind you one of the office ladies who monitors this system and inputs data etc replied, when I told her that I used Linux, "you should get a modern system".

Any advice is welcome.

I have just tried your website and without agent switcher lying to them I just got an advert for IE. When I used the agent switcher and lied that I was using IE7 then the advert disappeared. Seems like they are on the payroll.You should be able to use the site. Maybe a good idea to update firefox though as a few things have been fixed in the later version.

Edited by SilverSurfer60

ie4linux (+ wine) is what you need if you really want IE on linux

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

else you can use opera 9.5 beta2 (or a later version) and try to mask as ie (f12->edit site preferences->network->select mask as ie from dropdown box)

edit:masking as ie seems to work for the login page but I don't have an account so can't check

Edited by ffi

"you should get a modern system". ?????????????????????????.

A first class example of a total ignoramus (female or male doesn't make any difference.) who really knows nothing about computers posing as one who does.

Glad it was you and not me, because the remark is insulting to a customer and I would have taken the statement to the top brass and had her put in her place and made to apologize.

Cheers. John.

Thanks all for the advice. I have managed to get Opera 9.5 beta 2 to do the trick.

I attempted to install a user-agent for my firefox but could not get it to download.

John - the person in question is a co-worker who checks all our pays and remuneration etc. I reckon that shw is just 'blinkered' because she only ever uses a windows system all day and maybe just doedn't know what is available out there. I am not going to let it get to me.

As an aside I have come across several people who have never heard of Linux and who think that Mac is just another brand of machine that has windows installed on it. A few of them have been a little surprised when I explain the major differences but because these people work for companies they can be rather ham-strung by the type of programs that they need and use - especially if what they need is already available on the market in windows. It is pointless getting new programs written just to change systems but then again maybe there are more programs out there that we just don't know about.