Wireless Networking?

Steve Scrimpshire

I've scoured and searched the web and there seems to me to be no up-to-date info on this.

Right now I'm using MDK 9.1 and Linksys Phoneline Network Cards between just two computers. I had to hack some code to get them to work in 9.1, because ifplugd causes a kernel panic with the cards. I'm looking for affordable (about $70 US per card) and supported (stable) and easy-to-find (i.e. Best Buy...preferably would like to walk into a store and buy and not have to order). Any thoughts? I prefer a company that officially supports Linux, too, unlike LinkSys. If you could point me to a site that says "This one works in MDK 9.1 and is available at <<this store>>" or if you want to relate personal experience that would be even better, I guess. Also, I want PCI, not PCMCIA or USB...I'm using desktop systems.

I've heard that D-Link officially supports Linux, but their latest cards seem to not have drivers available from what I've found searching.

Thanks.

The Seimens Speedstream card I bought for my laptop works great for Linux. It says on the box that it will work under Linux, but the website says they don't officially support it (They still have a pretty good faq and knowledge base about it, though). They also make PCI cards. Should be able to find them at Best Buy, and considering where you are in the country; you might be able to find them at Meijer.

Guest Phat Penguin

Steve

I am running D-Link DWL-520+ wireless cards between two Mandrake 9.1 boxes at the moment.

These cards are NOT supported by D-Link or Texas Instruments who supply the acx100 drivers that runs them, according to its website, D-Link says it is developing drivers for *nix, I am not holding my breath.

The Linux acx100 drivers are currently under development by third party developers and there are drivers for Mandrake 9.1 at http://www.ivor.it. The attached documentation is pretty helpful and a little tweaking (I had no experience with wireless before this) had them running nicely.

I am following the development of these drivers at Sourceforge and there are many helpful tips there as well.

Regards.

• 5 months later...

To kind of bring this topic back from the dead....I just bought a Toshiba Satellite A25-S208 laptop that has integrated WiFi card that works under Linux. Harddrake lists it as:

‎Intersil PRISM2 11 Mbps Wireless Adapter

but it uses the orinoco_cs driver. My question is that I know nothing about wireless networking at all. Do I have to make sure that wireless card I buy for my desktop is also 802.11b? Can I use the desktop as the server without an access point and just let the two cards talk to each other just like i did with the wired ones I am currently using with a crossover cable? Could I secure the network with them communicating directly if that is possible or is an access point the only way to secure it?

TIA

Do I have to make sure that wireless card I buy for my desktop is also 802.11b? Can I use the desktop as the server without an access point and just let the two cards talk to each other just like i did with the wired ones I am currently using with a crossover cable? Could I secure the network with them communicating directly if that is possible or is an access point the only way to secure it?

TIA

Not tried it myself, but 802.11g is meant to be compatible with 802.11b.

Apparently you only need the two cards to get a workable network (as with your crossover cable) any more and it starts to confuse the issue (but is not impossible).

I don't know anything about the security aspect.

let us know how you get on, I have been toying with the idea of this myself but need the £££ to get the cards.

Leo