Is there a RedHat equivalent of this forum

ral

Okay...I am trying out RH8... hold the flames, I (not) am going to put it on the same PC my ML9. Just curious...Bluecurve and why RedHat is RedHat. I guess I will be in need of help shortly. Is there a RedHatUsersBoard or something like that...(or all they all a bunch of stuffed shirts). Tried searching RedHat and Google, but can't seem to find one.

I don't suppose you all, would be willing to help me out.

Edited by ral: "(not) going to put it"

Okay, I have RH8 on an old K6-2 350 with 64MB's of RAM while ML9.0 sits in my XP1700 with 256MB's of DDR RAM...so I am not abandoning ML for RH. ML is still my baby. RH8 is just that blond in the short red dress who happened to walk by (and turned my head bigtime). :P:

Okay, installation interface is slick. I admit I was amazed. However, it did not install my old Soundblaster 16 card on autodetect. ML8.2 detected this soundcard properly when I installed it in this PC a few months back.

I opted to install KDE instead of Gnome as a desktop environment. Okay, I am a newbie, so forgive me, but I love this bluecurve destktop. It organizes things in a simpler manner. For some reason or other the Windows key does not work. Maybe, I need to configure the keyboard settings.

Seems to run a bit slower than ML8.2 in this ole rig. But it got me on the internet without any fuss. Using it now to write this message.

Okay lets see, the good points.

Good:

Installation

It seems to do a better job with fonts.

Bluecurve desktop organizes things in a simpler format.

Great package manager (nicer interface).

Nuetral:

While there is no equivalent to the control center, allthe items can be found in the Start bar under "Preferences"I don't see the equivalent of a control center.

Bad:

Copyrighted on icons.

Probably runs slower than ML.

Verdict:

Well I need to use it more to really make an assessment, but after two hours on it, well.... I really don't see anything that it can do that ML9 can't do. I started missing my ML so I halted RH8 and started ML9.

Thanks Counterspy. Honestly, I don't know how to use a newsgroup. I just installed RH8 in my old PC...and anticiapted having problems like when I installed ML8.2.

Was hoping there was a database like this one where I could search about or ask about any problems that I may have.

I'll try the newsgroup. Never hurts to learn a new thing.

Newsgroups are fairly easy to use. Your two best options for a newsgroup program are Pan and Mozilla Mail. Pan is a dedicated news reader, while Mozilla Mail combines mail and news into one application.

Just get the news server from your isp, enter it into your news reader and you are away. The only problem that I have found with newsgroups is there tends to be a lot of spam out there and you need to set up very complex rules in order to get rid of it all without losing the important messages.

I got to check out the news groups myself and see what they are like.

Check out the Mandrake newsgroup also. It's alt.os.linux.mandrake. There are linux groups under the comp. heirarchy as well, that end to deal with Linux in general and a couple more in the alt heirarchy. The Mandrake newsgroup tends to have between 300 and 500 posts daily including vicious flame wars from intuders at alt.windows.xp, mainly from a demented idiot called Kadaitcha Man and friends.

Counterspy

Bluecurve is available for ML9.  Try this first.

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut...drake/9.0/rpms/  

Thanks again, Texstar!!!!

:D  

Have yet to put in on my self but I intend to do so when I get my new rig finished.

That bluecurve looks horrible to me. I use keramik with the crystal icons from texstars site.

does the redhat bluecurve support menu transperancy? the 9.0 rpm doesn't.

And yes thanks Texstar and others who make rpms of new stuff! you guys are great.

Well, I have only used Redhat a little (testing in the shop), most of my PC time is spent on my ML PC at home. As far as I can tell, Bluecurve does not support transparencies. But maybe I just have not ofund the correct place to activiate it yet.

Blue curve itself is not particularly nice. The fonts are very good, but the main attraction is the simplied "Start" bar. Newbie friendly. It does limit your available choices. For example it only say somethinhg like "Internet Browser" whicxh is a link to Mozilla. It does not place Konqueror as an option.

Guest Cyclops

Hey ral, regarding the request for a Redhat forum - LinuxISO.org has a specific Redhat forum, although the board itself is geared toward all Linux distros:

http://www.linuxiso.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=3

Hi Glitz, it's my understanding that the Gnome menu cannot be edited, except for manual edits. Here's the link I found on this back when I was trying to figure out how to edit the menu:

http://www.gnome.org/start/2.0/menuediting.html