Mandrake 9.1 vs. Redhat 9

Guest Graeme43

Mandrake Vs. Redhat  

1. 1. Mandrake Vs. Redhat

• Mandrake 9.1
    • Redhat 9

Guest Graeme43

Ok, i have the CD's of Mandrake 9.1 and Redhat 9, but i like Mandrake better as it is easier to customize the looks first time you start the user account

BUT

I get no sound and cant find any help and dont know if its worth it as Redhat 9 gives me sound : :cry:

i hate GNOME as well :x

Redhat Vs. Mandake

Say Why

Guest anon
I get no sound and cant find any help

I find that difficult to believe on this board.

Have you posted your sound card problem in the software forum?? Please include the details of your sound card and the error messages you encounter.

EDIT

I see you have, please respond to this post by tyme. http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...p?p=42153#42153

Guest xaff

I would have to say Mandrake, I've had some bad experiences with RedHat. (Such as spending the entire day trying to recompile php to support mysql, searching newsgroups and at the end of the day just deciding to shut down the box and find another less special distro.)

Guest anon
he has a post going about his sound card.  we (Ix and I) were busy getting his video card working right, now i've just started in on working on the soundcard issue.

Seems we posted same time, see my edited post above :D

You are asking this question in a Mandrake Users Board? :)

Anyway.. be patient, there are many people here who are willing to help. It's strange that your SB Live is not detected. Maybe all you have to do is just unmute the soundcard using aumix or kmix or whatever?

Tyme has already said, Graeme43, you posted several problems at 11:57AM my local time. At 12:08PM, you received your first response from me. I note that you did indeed get your video card going. Good job!

I hardly think that getting a connection from volunteers in 11 minutes on a users board (no one here is being paid to do this. We do it because we like you!) hardly constitutes "no help".

If you want to get sound, simply answer the questions asked! You will note that redhat is not a distro that stayed on my machine. The reason? This board!

Guest Graeme43

Yea them nice guys got my video card going :D

But somehow i cant get into www.alsa-project.org and ive never been there before :shock:

Don't know if I'm off topic now trying to answer the original question, MDK vs. RH.

Seriously, there are rational reasons for mandragora officinarum. Magic plants, a gorgeous look, this good looking guy Gael Duval, and, really: who would want a red hat if you can get a yellow star? :lol:

I've been using RH9 lately and I say they both have their ups and downs. It comes down to what you want, and what they do with your hardware really. Mandrake is the only distro I've used that takes a minute or more to start a print job. :roll: RH9 is the fastest, responding imediately. This would be enough reason to choose RH9 over ML9.1, if I had a small business. I've been using mozilla lately (something I thought would never happen). Opera is the only browser that's worth a flip in mandrake (never tried moz-fb). Mozilla and galeon are horridly slow with the rt-click open in a tab when trying to do several tabs. When I started using Libranet-2.8 it was much better, and again RH9 responds even better. My only beef with RH9 is its lack of media software that works. Sure its got xmms but don't try to play a downloaded mp3 bla bla bla you know the rant. No biggy though, just use synaptic to get the unsensored stuff :wink: