Need some help fast

Guest SanelB

Guest SanelB

I have installed Mandrake Linux 9.1 and now i can't get it to work on internet

this is not my real ip addres i just fill in a example but it looks the same way but the zero numbers are all on the same place as on my original just want to let you know because it might be important

connection type: cable

ip: 088.056.095.037

Subnetmask: 255.255.255.000

Gateway: 088.056.095.023

Host: SM

Domein: sm.com

DNS-servers: 213.145.056.055

2th DNS server: 213.145.056.150

this is the stuf that i enter inside windows98 TCP/IP

i just want to get a normal connection to internet like i do on windows

note; i don't use any router

can you guys plz help me out and tell me how to make this work i did try to enter this to the internet setup inside control center but its still not working am not sure what to do anymore

help would be more then apriciated :wink:

if you need more info then i will give it to you

[/img]

welcome,

Seeing your looking for a quickie here...

I think it would be easier if we could see your connection from windows side. Click start/run/winipcfg and see what that sez.

I would guess that if your on cable you would have DHCP enabled and I don't think you need all them numbers for Gateway, and DNS listed. Your domain should be more like 127.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.x

Maybe just clear this, and try the auto wizard in MCC?

Guest Ptaieb
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.000

Gateway: 088.056.095.023

Host: SM

Domein: sm.com

DNS-servers: 213.145.056.055

2th DNS server: 213.145.056.150

t

[/img]

I will said first, lets clean your ip's, there is no leading zero in ip address, your subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 and not 000 at the end,

gateway 88.56.95.23

dns 213.145.56.55 and 213.145.56.150

ip 88.56.95.37

then send us the ifconfig -a (replace the ip by some other if you want for security purpose). try to ping 127.0.0.1, then if it works, ping your own ip address, this tells you if your NIC is working, and the ip is set correctly, then try to ping your gateway, this tells you if you can access other computer tahn yours, on your network, after, ping some external address : 216.109.125.64 (this is www.yahoo.com) if you can ping yahoo, then you can access internet, try after to ping yahoo by name (ping www.yahoo.com)tell us anywhere it fail

Guest SanelB

Ok thank you kindppl for answering me i wasn't home for a while so i couldn't answer till now :oops:

ok i runned winipcfg and this is what i get

at PPP Adapter it says

Adapteradres: 44-45-53-54-00-00

Ip-addres: 0.0.0.0

Subnetmasker: 0.0.0.0

Standardgetaway: nothing its empty

Okay and when i change the PPP Adapter to my Networkcard its a Realtek RTL8139/810x Family ..... i get this info

Hostname: thanks.yeah.com (not my real host)

DNS-Servers: 213.145.24.33 (1st one there is also second one but i can't see him unless i push a button)

Adapteradres:00-02-44-64-D3-B9Ip-addres:80.95.45.32 (this is example but its almost the same)

Subnetmasker:255.255.255.0

Standardgetaway: 80.95.45.80 (this one is almost the same as my ip just the last number is diferent.

DHCP-Server: this is empty

Primary and Secundary WINS are empty

1more time thanks for help i will try right now the tips that you guys gived to me and i will let you know if it worked

see you sooon.. :D

one more thing where can i enter both of my DNS numbers because i have seen only place for one,.

Guest SanelB

hey guys i can belive it i got it working i just changed some settings like the ones that i found inside winipcfg :D lol

man i must say that internet looks a lot better when you are using linux much cleaner

nice work guys :lol:

Guest Ptaieb
one more thing where can i enter both of my DNS numbers because i have seen only place for one,.

there is in drakeconnect the possibility to add more than one DNS server, also it might be possible just to edit the /etc/ resolv.conf, this is the file where the DNS ip is kept. this file is sometime rewrited by the network config depending of some options (do not knowwhich one)

Guest SanelB

well lol i solved one problem it was my connection to internet and now i got another one :oops:

maybe you can guys help

okay this is what happend

i wanted to play the game taxi or similiar anyway its a 3D game and it run slow like hell so i search the forum for some answers and i found that i need to install card drive okay thats what i did, i downloaded the nvidia driver from downloads section on this forum that were 2 files both rpm if i am right...? okay i downloaded them and now i started first the one file that i downloaded then it asked me if i wanted to install it i sayd yes but (actualy it first asked my password) okay i installed that one and i did the same for the other one. :(

well here comes the sad part of the story i restarted linux and then i couldn't get back to my nice screen it just throw me back to like command prompt or terminal .

well is there anyway i can get back to normal

help is much apriciated. :D

Guest SanelB

i should have writen my last post to some other section because this one is only for network, so guys if you want to delete it then its ok with me i will write this on other section :wink:

and if its ok well i will wait for a answer

Login or su to root and then type this:

vim /etc/X11/XF86config-4

It may be a capital C in 'config'

Then hit i and hit enter, to enter 'insert' mode. Scroll down and make sure that under device for your video card, it says 'nvidia' for the driver and not 'nv' (without the quotes). And above that somewhere, it should say Load "glx". If both of those are correct, hit Esc, then :q and hit enter. If they are not correct, edit them and then hit Esc, then :wq and hit enter. In either case, try typing this on the command line afterwards:

insmod nvidia [hit enter]

startx [hit enter]

Guest SanelB

okay i first log in as root then i typed this: vim /etc/X11/XF86config-4 after that i got in a black sceen and with many signs like the one's below but it was al empty there were no commands i also tryd page up page down and my scrool keys but i couldn't find any command it look like the file is empty if it is a file...

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

other sugestions???

also i tryd this command urpmi binutils but it says unable to find CD1 and so on till CD3 but i did insert my cd.

Guest Ptaieb

the reasons why you had this page is because the file you try to open does not exist so vim/vi creates a blank new file

try to get the correct name of the config file

something like : locate XF86config-4 or other spelling