Can't set up Mandrake Update source

Guest stodge

Guest stodge

I'm trying to set up a source for Mandrake but it just won't work. I'm trying to use this URL:

ftp://ftp.belnet.be/packages/mandrake/9.1...ake/RPMS.cooker

And I'm trying to point to the hdlist.cz file here:

ftp://ftp.belnet.be/packages/mandrake/9.1...6/Mandrake/base

So I configure the URL as the first address above and put the relative address to the hdlist file as ../base, but Mandrake just won't accept it.

Does anyone have this working, and if so could you spare a moment to explain it to me in case I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks

In setting up your sources, if you use Mandrake update, you should only have to use the first link. If it is not working, then you may be having trouble getting to that particular server. (I got right in!)

Edit: you are trying to use cooker, aren't you?

First, I am not an expert, but have learned a few things about using Mdk Update through the school of hard knocks in the past 9 months of using Mdk.

Depending on your connect speed, it can take several minutes to resolve the hdlist, especially the first time you use it. Be patient and don't abort it before it is done unless you absolutely have to do so. Sometimes it is merely the server timing you out due to too many users at the moment. I find the off-peak hours are best on a slow connection.

A trick I use is to check the ping time to the base server BEFORE I try Update. If it is slowish (above 800ms) or too many dropped packets, then I pass on using that server as it will take forever to connect/download. Then I shop around to find a faster connection. (Helps if you get to know how to remove the update source via Software Sources Manager GUI or via cmd line and urpmi) This has saved me a lot of aborted downloads due to timeouts and too many dropped packets causing the update to hang or to never start in the first place.

Second, I would think twice about using cooker sources if you are new to Linux. Not recommended.

It is hard to be that patient, but it sure does help eliminate problems. :)

The few times I've tried the Source Manager to add sources, I had a hard time with it. It's easier, more informative, lighter on resources (faster), and all around better to use urpmi.

Open a terminal and su to root;

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost bvc]#

then run;

urpmi.addmedia cooker ftp://ftp.belnet.be/packages/mandrake/9.1...ake/RPMS.cooker with ../base/hdlist.cz

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...highlight=urpmi

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jwrobinson/docs.html

man urpmi (...and others listed at the bottom of this man)