External NTFS drive and deleted files [solved]

volapyk

Hi

I'm running Mandriva 2008.1 Gnome. I use an 500 GB external drive for music etc. The drive is formatted with NTFS.

My problem is when I delete files from the drive (by pressing delete or choosing move to recycle bin), the files do not end up in the recycle bin. The files disappear but I have no clue where the files are going and/or if they are taking up space somewhere.

How can I fix this and make the drive work with the recycle bin, like normally?

Where did the files go? I don't want them to take up space somewhere.

Greetings

Volapyk

Edited by volapyk

The files aren't going anywhere... they just get deleted.

The trashbin in Linux is virtual and desktop-dependent. All the major Linux filesystems (ext3, reiserfs 3.X, xfs) do not use/support unerase, and this is done on purpose.

Recovery of deleted file in reiserfs is possible using the reiserfstools, while with ext3 and xfs is more miss and less hit- and certainly enough not such an easy task.

To sum up, no, there's no way to delete those files into the recycle bin, and no, they don't occupy any space, anywhere- they get permanently deleted.

The files aren't going anywhere... they just get deleted.

The trashbin in Linux is virtual and desktop-dependent. All the major Linux filesystems (ext3, reiserfs 3.X, xfs) do not use/support unerase, and this is done on purpose.

Recovery of deleted file in reiserfs is possible using the reiserfstools, while with ext3 and xfs is more miss and less hit- and certainly enough not such an easy task.

To sum up, no, there's no way to delete those files into the recycle bin, and no, they don't occupy any space, anywhere- they get permanently deleted.

This is not quite correct, files moved to trash in the home directory should end up in /home/<user-name>/.local/share/Trash whereas files deleted from other media should end up in <mount point>/.Trash-<user-name>

I have never used GNOME in MDV but the below bug report is how it works in Ubuntu (GNOME) and according to MDV devs should in MDV KDE aswell

https://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=38959

Edited by ffi

files moved to trash in the home directory should end up in /home/<user-name>/.local/share/Trash whereas files deleted from other media should end up in <mount point>/.Trash-<user-name>

Agreed. Unless you have set up the right-click > 'delete' context menu entry to bypass trash and really delete, this is where it ends up when using Gnome or KDE. I've had to delete <mount point>/.Trash from my USB sticks, before I remembered to set it up.

Sorry guys, but deleted files from NTFS volumes do not end there... that is, if you are using fuse/ntfs-3g

If you use the kernel ntfs module (which could not delete files from NTFS volumes till very recently), then you are right. But this isn't the case here. volapyk is rather clearly using ntfs-3g.