Sources for Mandrake RPM-Updater

Guest wolfchri

Guest wolfchri

Hello,

I am new to MDK, coming from Debian/Knoppix.

I want to update my RPMs, but I dont know any URL/FTP-Adresses that I can use in MandrakeUpdater.

Can somebody please point me to a place where I can find this information.

Greetings from Munich, the town that has choosen Linux today as its OS for the City Gouvernment (30.000 systems..., against M$)

When you start Mandrake Update for the first time, it should ask you where you want to get your updates from and give you a whole list to choose from. I'm partial to the server located at the University of Utah (math.utah.edu) cause it's fast for me. That could have something to do with the fact that it's less than 100 miles south of here, though. Your results may vary, but you're pretty safe selecting a server near you, or far away; if you want. After you select a server, it should get a list of all of the available updates for your particular system and installation for you to choose from.

Welcome to Mandrake.

Welcome!

Comming from debian you might also want to check out apt and synaptic for mandrake;

APT

ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp.ibiblio.or...1-4tex.i586.rpm

SYNAPTIC

ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp.ibiblio.or...5-1tex.i586.rpm

You could also use urpmi to add sources, which will then be available from the software manager;

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jwrobinson/docs.html

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=1549

man urpmi

man urpmf

urpmi --help

urpmf --help

urpme --help

Guest wolfchri
Welcome!

Comming from debian you might also want to check out apt and synaptic for mandrake;

APT

ftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp.ibiblio.or...1-4tex.i586.rpm

SYNAPTICftp://ftp.pbone.net/mirror/ftp.ibiblio.or...5-1tex.i586.rpm

Thank you very much, apt/synaptic helps a lot to get around with MDK, although it is really very userfriendly - extremely close to my Win98, one doesnt have to adapt scripts and stuff manually.

HOWEVER, the server provided in the sources.list in the apt.rpm is not up, apt-get update results in an error cause the server (biblio i think) is down. Are there other servers i can use for the sources.list? I see from the URL above that there are mirrors of biblio - does somebody know the complete path for sources.list in order to use the mirrors instead?

Thanks a lot anyway for the quick help.