Video card problem on new 9.1 install?

WmCook

Hello, I'm am very new to Linux, got my 9.1 discs loaded the program and after help at the Installing Forum am stuck at a blank screen during the initial boot up. I looked at the How to install the nVidia driver FAQ but it seems to assume that Linux is up and running. It states that I should "Open a console and type the following command" The only way that I can find to get to a console is to boot from the installation disk then go to rescue and console. When I type the instructions from the FAQ it says that it is a bad command or the directory is not found. Am I chasing the wrong rabbit? Shouldn't this video card work without the updated drivers? Any help is greatly appreciated.

AMD 2500+

EPOX EP-8RDA+

Mitsumi CDR

ASUS V7100PRO64Pure64MB Video

WD HD 80GB 7200RPM 8MB WD800JB

Logitech Keyboard and Mouse

At the end of the install there's a Summary screen. In the list there should be an option to Configure X or the like and doing the config from here should give you an option to test the config. It's not necessary to go back and do another install though. From the (DOS like) console (init 3) mode you can run as root;

drakconf

and reconfigure X and this should allow you to test as well.

Are you able to get to the console (init 3)?

The

depmod -a

is a command to "handle dependency descriptions for loadable kernel modules". I know there was at least one video card module that for some reason didn't get to run depmod after installing itself. It was worth on shot on this issue.

Guest jack smack

After you've installed the driver did you change your XF86Config-4 file? If you didn't, boot like they told you and as root type this:

vi /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

then scroll down to where it says:

Driver "nv"

press i then change "nv" to "nvidia"

now press escape and type ":wq" without the quotes here

reboot normally and it should work

What driver did you choose for your card? To find out, after you are root;

cat /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Look in the Device Section....it looks like this;

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"

Driver "nvidia"

EndSection

What's your 'Driver'?

I did not load the files because when I typed "urpmi binutils" It stated: "Everything already installed"

when I checked /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 it looked like:

Section "Device"

Identifier "device1"

BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"

Driver "nvidia"

Option "DPMS"

EndSection

Is the "option DPMS" a problem are the drivers loaded? Should I reload them (If so, how?) I am grateful for all of the help

Do you know how to edit a file from init 3? Because the first thing I'd try is changing

Driver "nvidia"

to

Driver "nv"

and in the Modules Section (see below) #comment out

Load "glx"

This will tell X to use the XFree86 driver (nv) instead of nvidias (nvidia). Did you instal the nvidia driver or do you have the Pro Edititon or whatever it is that comes with nvidia. Because they usually aren't very good to begin with. It's best to get the nvidia driver from http://www.nvidia.com

Can you post the entire XF86Config-4 file or at least the Modules Section?

Section "Module"

Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension

#Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Load "extmod"

Load "type1"

Load "freetype"

Load "glx" # 3D layer

EndSection

If you want to continue trying your current driver make sure your module section looks exactly like mine above. Don't remove entries....#comment them out with a '#'. DPMS? is fine...I just moved mine to be with all my other options....that's why you don't see it :wink: The driver loads when X starts. That's all that is necessary.

here, for how to edit;

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=4463

installing nvidia;

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=4567