wvdial connection questions

Steve Scrimpshire

I just bought a Creative ModemBlaster External 56k serial modem and it was detected just fine as /dev/ttys0 and linked to /dev/modem accordingly. However, I've noticed this problem with wvdial (didn't happen with my old modem):

--> Waiting for carrier.

ATDT [isp's phone number]

CONNECT 115200

C

UQKT2

User Access Verification

Username: 

--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.

Userna

--> Don't know what to do!  Starting pppd and hoping for the best.

--> Starting pppd at Fri May 23 00:01:20 2003

After this, there is a few seconds where the light in modem_lights applet blinks yellow (that's how i set it up for 'connecting'), then is green and I am connected. I can surf fine, but I'm just wondering if anything is wrong that I should worry about or maybe change?

My philosophy has always been: if it works, just be happy :) it's probably just a glitch or an unrecognized request and so the program just goes ahead and does what it should do even tho it doesn't recognize something, and since it works, obviously it's not much of a problem.

Somehow I knew I would get an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." answer. :lol:

BTW: After I bought it and installed it, I went surfing the web to see if I could somehow tweak it and discovered several places where people talk about Creative ModemBlaster's being pieces of crap and not being able to get a fast connection with one. Well, I bought this one because I didn't want to pay $100 for a new modem after my POS Conexant HCF internal modem just suddenly died (it was almost 3 years old) and I'll tell you this connection is faster and more reliable than the old modem. Also, since my modem is now using the serial port, I don't have that annoying problem of cursor lag when dialing (my video card and modem shared an interrupt before).

since we are already in the wvdial topic, how do i configure wvdial to automatically get the dns server used by my dial-up (i use prepaid cards so i might not be using the same isp each time)? kppp handles them automatically but loading kppp takes longer than executing wvdial. :#:

tia!

ciao!

......discovered several places where people talk about Creative ModemBlaster's being pieces of crap and not being able to get a fast connection with one. .......

For what it's worth, I have the exact same modem and have been nothing but happy with it. It works well, gives me good speeds and my conections remain stable for ever. I have left it on downloading for 19 hours without any drop in speed.

how do i configure wvdial to automatically get the dns server used by my dial-up
usepeersdns

in /etc/ppp/options

and

AutoDNS=on

in /etc/wvdial.conf

This is from memory, so don't shoot me if I'm wrong. I'll double check when I get home......I'm at work :P

Hmmm...I turned Stupid mode on and now my connect looks like this:

ATDT 6950032

CONNECT 115200

C

UQKT2

User Access Verification

Username: 

--> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.

--> Starting pppd at Sat May 24 17:39:03 2003

And I'm connected (alot faster, too). I don't understand how I'm allowed to connect without a password, but it'll do.

Edit: I changed the password in /etc/wvdial.conf to a wrong one and I do not connect, so it is giving a password, even though it doesn't show it. Everything is cool.

correction

Auto DNS=on

Stupid mode doesn't do anything for me now that I switched to a real ISP :wink:

http://www.mylinuxisp.com/index.php

The wvdial docs on the internet basically say that if Stupid mode helps....well, your ISP is STUPID :mystismiles: ...that is what is says.Looks like you were having an auth prob, and this is were Stupid mode helped me when I had a stupid ISP. :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

if you have read this thread then you know why my wvdial suddenly doesnt work anymore. here are the contents of my /etc/ppp/options file but i only added the characters in bold hoping it would work...

lock

noauth

noipdefault

usepeerdns

defaultroute

and here is my wvdial configuration which was working before i reinstalled...

[Dialer Defaults]

Modem = /dev/ttyS0

Baud = 115200

Init1 = ATZ

Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0

ISDN = 0

#Modem Type = Analog Modem

Phone = 5555555

Username = edited by bvc- tell the world next time ramfree17

Password = edited by bvc- tell the world next time ramfree17

Auto DNS = on

Stupid Mode = on

Auto Reconnect = on

but i think i dont get my dns servers set because i cant ping anything by its hostname. im currently using kppp and route doesnt show any entries (should it?).

any suggestions? thanks...

ciao!

wvdial does not work for me since installing 9.1 either. I've tried everything. Adding defaultroute, taking it out, adding noipdefault, taking it out, making /etc/ppp/peers/wvdial look just like /etc/ppp/options. Everything. Nothing works. I think it has something to do with ifup ppp0. wvdial will get all the way to starting pppd, but ppp0 will not come up. If I try to

ifup ppp0

while waiting, I get an error. Forget which one. error code 2 maybe? can't find anything relating to error codes for ifup. Anyway, eventually the modem just hangs up. I've tried with Auto DNS = yes, without it. With Stupid mode = yes and without it. Dumbfounded.

wvdial does not work for me since installing  9.1 either.

but it did worked for me before i reinstalled to re-organize my partitions. since it has worked before i know there is just some setting that needs to be tweaked. but still no luck though. :(

ciao!