9.0 to 9.1- now wont connect to internet

Guest tcreek

Guest tcreek

I bought a new drive (120 GB) and decided on a fresh install of 9.1. Once it was install it refused to connect to the internet. I could not fugure out why so I just deleted the drive again and started over with 9.0 and got it to work fine.

I then upgraded the packages and it went back to refusing to connect to the internet.

I deleted and now back to 9.0

What the heck is going on?.Maybe it is just me, but Mandrake seems to be gathering more problems as it progresses. I thought versions 6.x-7.x were much easier and less probmatic than versions 8.x-9.x.

Thanks for any help.

Is the dhcp server in your local network, or is it external? Are you behind a firewall? Also, do you check your network configuration prior to completing the install? It is the screen that comes up with a summary listing of all things bright and beautiful. Since I'm using a network printer, for example, I always have to configure the printer manually at this point. Even if you miss that part of the install, you should be able to configure it afterwards. Make sure you are installing networking. (I'm just trying to guess with the info you have supplied! :lol: )

Guest tcreek

It has been grabbing an IP off the DHCP server from my service provider. No firewall. 9.0 to 9.1 upgrade I only do a package update. And I did a full install of 9,1 and both give same result. I even go back and try to reconfigure the connection and still refuses to connect.

Darn...I would have to reinstall 9.1 to do that

I think he means post the output from ifconfig to the board-you don't need to reinstall to do that. just open a terminal su to root, type in ifconfig, hit return, and then copy and paste whatever the command prints out to the terminal.

there shouldn't be anything you can't fix without a reinstall.

Guest tcreek

I have already taken 9.1 off and put 9.0 back on..so that would mena a reinstall if he wants to see the ifconfig for 9.1, unless he wants the 9.0

Why not save a copy of the config file, and use it in 9.1? It should work. I save several config files, and adjust them if needed.

If it's any consolation to you, I'm having some probs myself. I've installed 9.1 twice in 2 days working on what I hope is just a powersupply prob, and after both installs I haven't been able to get wvdial to work. I'm dialup and kppp works just fine, but I've always used wvdial (use gnome2). I've never had a prob previous to this and I'm baffled because I've gone through and looked at everything and configured as I always do. Not only will it not work, but I get different errors as root and user. Something is screwy :roll:

Please, do not reply to my prob.....this is tcreeks thread. Thanks! :wink:

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ su

Password:  

[root@localhost bvc]# which ifconfig

/sbin/ifconfig

[root@localhost bvc]#urpmf ifconfig

net-tools:/sbin/ifconfig

net-tools:/usr/share/man/de_DE/man8/ifconfig.8.bz2

net-tools:/usr/share/man/fr_FR/man8/ifconfig.8.bz2

net-tools:/usr/share/man/man8/ifconfig.8.bz2

net-tools:/usr/share/man/pt_BR/man8/ifconfig.8.bz2

man-pages-it:/usr/share/man/it/man8/ifconfig.8.bz2

howto-html-en:/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/HTML/en/Linuxs-20030211/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/rhl-ifconfig.html

howto-html-en:/usr/share/doc/HOWTO/HTML/en/Remote-Serial-Console/rhl-ifconfig.html

man-pages-es:/usr/share/man/es/man8/ifconfig.8.bz2

man-pages-fr:/usr/share/man/fr/man8/ifconfig.8.bz2

man-pages-hu:/usr/share/man/hu/man8/ifconfig.8.bz2

man-pages-id:/usr/share/man/id/man8/ifconfig.8.bz2

man-pages-ja:/usr/share/man/ja/man8/ifconfig.8.bz2

man-pages-pl:/usr/share/man/pl/man8/ifconfig.8.bz2

webmin:/usr/share/webmin/i4lctrl-0.6.7/dummy/ifconfig.output.ippp0

webmin:/usr/share/webmin/i4lctrl-0.6.7/dummy/ifconfig.output.ippp1

zsh:/usr/share/zsh/4.1.0-dev-5/functions/Completion/Unix/_ifconfig

mkinitrd-net:/usr/lib/mkinitrd-net/initrd-skel/bin/ifconfig

kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-0.13mdk/arch/ia64/sn/io/ifconfig_net.c

kernel-source:/usr/src/linux-2.4.21-0.13mdk/include/asm-ia64/sn/ifconfig_net.h

[root@localhost bvc]#

:wink:

Guest tcreek

Well..which config files should I save when I upgrade from 9.0 to 9.1? IU dotn want to have the server down for hours again.

Trent