No Lilo, just L 04040404 etc.

Guest Squareball2

Guest Squareball2

I was using Mandrake 9 but decided to try SuSE 8.2. I installed SuSE but it didn't detect my sound blaster live, so I decided while I was already out playing that I would kill off SuSE and install Lycoris. I didn't like that either so I decided to go back to Mandrake 9.

After installing I rebooted and I didn't get Lilo.. all I got was L 040404040040404040404 for a few lines and then it just sat there. I had to put in my XP rescue disc and do a fixmbr. So I reinstalled and got the same problem. This hadn't ever happened to me before. Just for the heck of it I reinstalled Lycoris and it did install its bootloader correctly but not Mandrake.

I tried to boot from the mandrake CD and reinstall Lilo but when I rebooted it did the same thing. L 040404040044.

Here is my config

AMD Athlon 1500+ XP

768mb ram.

GeForce Ti4200 64mb DDR

HDD1 - 80gig NTFS WinXP installed - 50mb Fat32 partition before it for BootMagic*

HDD2 - 40gig Fat32

HDD3 - 80gig NTFS with 10gig of it an ext3 linux partition where I install Mandrake.

*So I figured i'd try to use Bootmagic, so I installed it and it would boot to my WinXP just fine but when I chose Linux, it would give me the L 0404040404. So I don't know what the deal is. This never happened before.

Thanks for the help :)

I think the conflict occurs between the two boot loaders. I'm not familiar with Boot Magic, but can't it boot linux without your having to add lilo? If you really want to have two boot loaders, then I think the correct order would be to tell Boot Magic where lilo is, and install lilo on the root partition of your linux partition. Search this, boot loaders, and see what comes up. I know this has been addressed here before, possibly bvc has worked with this.

I think the error you're receiving is due to a problem with the boot partition for linux. something is probably messed up there. unfortunately, the only way I personally know to fix this is with a re-install-but it seems you've tried that to no avail. I would run a check on the hard drive and make sure everything is ok.

Those are just guesses :-/

Guest Squareball2
I think the conflict occurs between the two boot loaders. I'm not familiar with Boot Magic, but can't it boot linux without your having to add lilo? If you really want to have two boot loaders, then I think the correct order would be to tell Boot Magic where lilo is, and install lilo on the root partition of your linux partition. Search this, boot loaders, and see what comes up. I know this has been addressed here before, possibly bvc has worked with this.

Well no, the problem occured before I installed BootMagic, I only installed boot magic to see if it would correctly boot linux and it didn't :(

Hmm.. still looking around for any one else who has had this problem.. but I can't seem to find any one who has. I am special ;)

Just to attempt to get things up and running again....install grub.

Boot to CD1 and at the splash screen hit F1>type resciue and hit Enter>choose Mount your partitions under /mnt>Go back to the rescue screen and choose>Go to console>at the prompt type

chroot /mnt

and hit Enter. Then run

/usr/sbin/grub-install '(hd0)'

[EDIT] grub-install could also be in /sbin depending on the distro you use.

These two will also install grub to the mbr

/usr/sbin/grub-install /dev/hd0

/usr/sbin/grub-install /dev/hda

Ixthusdan, BTMagic needs to know where grub/lilo are and merely passes booting to one of them.

Guest Squareball2

Thanks BVC! I am about to burn the Mandrake 9.1 CDs and I will install that and if I have the same problem I will definitly do what you said and i'll report back! :)

some time ago (paentium2 or before) ... the boot partition had to be on the first 1024 cyclinders of the drive.

I have a celeron 450 like this .... if I put the boot partition on the end of the drive .. I get this

li..

and that's it ... nothing more ... and the only way to fix it was to move the boot partition to the begining of the drive

Guest Squareball2
some time ago (paentium2 or before) ... the boot partition had to be on the first 1024 cyclinders of the drive.

I have a celeron 450 like this .... if I put the boot partition on the end of the drive .. I get  this

<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->li..<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->

and that's it ... nothing more ... and the only way to fix it was to move the boot partition to the begining of the drive

So I wonder if I need to move my linux partition to the front of the 3rd HD?

So I wonder if I need to move my linux partition to the front of the 3rd HD?
With your specs I'd say the 1024 cyclinders boundry isn't not your prob. It does get on my nerves though, that twice I've made it a point to remember what "li" and "lo" on a failed loading of lilo means and can't....not for my life. But lilo gave me the "li" 2 times in a week when I used BTMagic and that's when I switched to grub. BTMagic had no problems with grub for about 8 months b4 I ditched BTMagic for good.

Guest Squareball2

YAY!

Ok Mandrake 9.1 installed perfectly and I chose to use Grub and everything is working and i'm writing this from inside it now :)

Thanks for the help!

I must say that 9.1 is a VERY big improvement over 9! The install is SO sleek now and the menu is laid out so much better that I think it's better than RH 9.

The only reason I switched from RH is because I couldn't get the WebDAV in Konqueror working correctly and it was just kinda klunky for me. i'm very happy with Mandrake!

Here's what man lilo says about the 40 40

BOOT ERRORS

The boot process takes place in two stages.  The first stage loader  is

a single sector, and is loaded by the BIOS or by the loader in the MBR.

It loads the multi-sector second stage loader, but is very  space  lim-

ited.   When  the  first stage loader gets control, it types the letter

"L"; when it is ready to transfer control to the second stage loader it

types  the letter "I".  If any error occurs, like a disk read error, it

will put out a hexadecimil error code, and  then  it  will  re-try  the

operation.   All hex error codes are BIOS return values, except for the

lilo-generated 40, 99 and 9A.  A partial list of error codes follows:

00  no error

01  invalid disk command

0A  bad sector flag

0B  bad track flag

20  controller failure

40  seek failure (BIOS)

40  cylinder>1023 (LILO)

99  invalid second stage index sector (LILO)

9A  no second stage loader signature (LILO)

AA  drive not ready

FF  sense operation failed

Error code 40 is generated by the BIOS, or by LILO during  the  conver-

sion  of a linear (24-bit) disk address to a geometric (C:H:S) address.

On older systems which do not support lba32 (32-bit)  addressing,  this

error  may  also  be  generated.  Errors 99 and 9A usually mean the map

file (-m or map=) is not readable, likely because LILO was  not  re-run

after some system change, or there is a geometry mis-match between what

LILO used (lilo -v3 to display) and what is actually being used by  the

BIOS (one of the lilo diagnostic disks, available in the source distri-

bution, may be needed to diagnose this problem).

Some things you could of tried is

1. Default your bios.

2. Go to the /mnt/etc/lilo.conf (if you can) and edit the lilo.conf file. Make sure it has a boot=/dev/hda in the first line. Then mount / and type lilo to process it (Or chroot /mnt).

Guest Squareball2

Thanks for putting that out there for others to see :)

I just need to figure out now why when I installed my Windows fonts it changed my Sans and Sans-Serif fonts to unreadable ugly fonts and now DrakFont will not even load! argh.