MDK9 review on OSNEWS

MoonChild

You know, I have noticed the mouse thing that everybody is complaining about, actually since 7.2 (I think!) when Mandrake automated the imwheel setup. If you just move the wheel, and click the clickers, like the install says to do, the process levels out and your wheel works. Sure, it acts crazy for 5 seconds, but then it's done. So, what is the complaint?

The rest of the comments are pretty anti-Mandrake. I don't think Red Hat is that good, and it seems the author didn't like Mandrake from the beginning. If I want to read propaganda, I can do that on ZDnet!

Some people just don't read the instructions. Even in expert mode. No wonder they think linux is hard.. Heck.. my experience is that Windows is actually harder to configure than linux because I CANNOT FIND THE INSTRUCTIONS AND NOBODY KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THAT PARTICULAR PROBLEM! Ahem.. sorry to shout but this is not a good day for me. :)

MDK has been great for me. I found some of the negative comments to be inaccurate and biased. I haven't tried Redhat, but I did SUSE 8.0 for a short time and I didn't like it. I found it buggier then MDK. I do hope that MDK 9.1 will bring about improvements to an overall good version of MDK.

That is the nature of reviews and reviewers. To use another example, consider movie reviews. People go to movies regardless of the reviews. With computer software it is probably the same. Nevertheless, it is information that maunfacturers in highly competitive market like Linux should pay serious attention to. In that review, Diskdrake takes it hard and probably justifiably. If Paragon, Partition Magic and Ranish can figure out how to move partitions without destroying data, then maybe Mandrakesoft can figure it out also.

Counterspy.

O.K., some of what the reviewer said was good to consider in improving an excellent distribution. I think that the numeric grade was higher than the oral attack. Kind of like what the media does in US news reports; you get the facts after it is shaded by personal biases, which makes them facts no longer! I guess I like reviewers to be less pre-opinionated. The review is appealing to those who are against Mandrake Linux. Although I no longer use Red Hat, I would prefer a review that is objective rather than for or against Red Hat.

Precisely the point: I prefer facts about a product, and then followed by an opinionated analysis. I'm not sure I give a hoot about someone's opinion with whom I am not familiar. In other words, for me to value an opinion, I must know the person expressing it. If someone is "reviewing", I like some facts first. Just my opinion!

Okay, here is how it goes.

The review was quite fair, unless you are too biased in favor of MDK and cannot see it.

The mouse problem does exist, even the Errata talks about it and offers a fix which a newbie would never probably be able to follow.

Most of the problems mentioned are problems I encountered myself.

Why is this review any good? Without critical reviews, how will MDK improve? If we keep the old mentallity and believe our distro is the best, what is the reason for improving? Don't forget, without improvement in a capitalist world, you are doomed.

I am glad MDK got someone to tell them their problems in public, so they pay closer attention to them and will fix them in future releases.

Moonchild, you absolutely correct. Mandrakesoft seems to be incapabale of learning from their mistakes. They still haven't done anything to let users know that supermount is broken again. On the cooker list, a number of posters there emphasized the necessity of letting people know about this problem, particularly new users. In addition, 136 bugs are currently posted on bugzilla. And here we go around, around, playing the circle game.

Counterspy