which mandrake for P1 266?

Guest chris

Hi there,

Some advice........ I'm a newbie hoping to get some experience with Mandrake Linux. I've got a P1 266 with 96 Ram and a 4 gig hard drive.

I'd like to run Linux with a nice fast GUI, which Mandrake do you think would suit my needs best? And which GUI?

Chris

Any Mdk would be OK, provided your hardware is compatible.

I began Linux computing with a PII350/64MBram, with Mdk6.1/KDE1: very usable.

Now I have a PII350/192MBram, with Mdk8.1/Gnome1.4+IceWM: very usable.

Recently, I acquired a P150/32MBram laptop, with Mdk8.1/Gnome1.4+IceWM: the fastest GUI desktop I could get; good enough. Sometimes I only use IceWM without Gnome: really better, but no Gnome panel.

Generally, Gnome is faster than KDE with a "weak" machine. Further more, within Gnome, I found IceWM to be the fastest and best window manager.

Because the rage128 chipset has a bug in Mdk9.0 with DRI, I can't switch to 9.0, but I would if I could because everywhere, it is said it is faster (system is faster to boot, KDE is faster, Gnome is faster).

For a conclusion, my advice for your hardware is as follows:

- Mdk9.0 with Gnome2+Metacity (the default, never tried this one) or Gnome2+IceWM.

- Or if you can't cope with Gnome startup time, just Mdk9.0 with IceWM (or again Metacity if it is faster... I never tried).

Yves.

• 2 weeks later...