No sound with Flash 6 plugin

Guest SDMF

Guest SDMF

When I use the Flash 6 plugin, I get no sound from the Flash animations. Flash 5 works just fine sound-wise for those that do not require Flash 6. I also get no sound output for mpg123, maybe these problems are related?

Guest SDMF

I don't know what you mean by WM/DE.

I am running Fluxbox as a WM.

OSS

no error messages in terminal

Plugin shows up and is enabled

so far, only mozilla and phoenix

WM=WindowManager /fluxbox/waimea/openbox/metacity

DE=DesktopEnvironment /kde/gnome2

errr...no error messages?/enabled?....sorry but I don't know. I hate to mention trying alsa because I hate alsa, and you shouldn't have to, but I don't know what else to suggest. Hope someone else does.

The only thing I can think of is something in fluxbox is taking control of your soundcard. Most soundcards supported by OSS can only control one channel at a time, so if some application use the soundcard, the other applications cannot use it.

The only thing I can think of is something in fluxbox is taking control of your soundcard. Most soundcards supported by OSS can only control one channel at a time, so if some application use the soundcard, the other applications cannot use it.

he has a live 5.1, so have i, it supports more than 1 channel at a time.

At least i can play two ogg files at the same time, or a music file and a movie at the same time.

Guest SDMF

Not that I know of. Like what script, my xinitrc?

Since the sound works for flash 5 and because of the sound card I have, I don't think it is a multi-channel thing.

esd -gnome/gtk1 & 2 apps

/usr/bin/esd -terminate -nobeeps -as 2 -spawnfd 15

arts -kde apps

/usr/bin/artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -s 60 -m artsmessage -l 3 -f &

The above are what I use in ~/.xinitrc with startx to start X, or autostart.sh for Xtart,GDM, KDM, MDKKDM. You can find out what your card is using by running

ps auxf

in a terminal after or while running your sound, or read the man pages and make your own string. You could also use this command to see the threaded process of how sound is started with flash 5 and then what's happening/or not happening with flash 6 (hopefully). Also, run ps auxf (or ps -A) b4 the flash site and see if a sound daemon is running. I'm just wondering if flash 6 isn't starting some process that starts the sound daemon. I've had that prob with galeon and esd but it was back in ML8.1.

Guest SDMF

The following line:

/usr/bin/esd -terminate -nobeeps -as 2 -spawnfd 22

was one that came up after running ps auxf. So it appears this is already running previous to even opening the browser.

How did you install flash? I had the same problem when i installed from the tarball on the flash/macromedia web site with 9.0. After I installed 9.1, I used the mandrake rpm to install flash and the sound worked fine. I think I downloaded the rpm from either mandrakeclub or texstar.

Guest SDMF
How did you install flash? I had the same problem when i installed from the tarball on the flash/macromedia web site with 9.0. After I installed 9.1, I used the mandrake rpm to install flash and the sound worked fine. I think I downloaded the rpm from either mandrakeclub or texstar.

I had installed from the macromedia site too. I just installed using the rpm from the link that bvc supplied. Then I ran the homecleanup utility to remove the old plugin files. Still no sound.

• 1 month later...

Well, I just tried to reinstall the plugin, and again I had no sound, so I tried to do another round of google searches. I came across some Gnome user's post on the macromedia site, saying that he got it to work by clicking on the "Enable Sound Server Startup" box in the Gnome Control Center. Well, I don't use Gnome, I use fluxbox, but I logged into Gnome, and did that, then logged out and logged back into Fluxbox, and sure enough I got the sound to work. What I am wondering is, just what exactly clicking that box did "behind the scenes", since I don't think that having something checked in Gnome when you don't even use it is the REAL solution to this problem.

Flux is JUST a wm....what apps do you use?.....gtk, qt, or both? There are gtk apps that require gnome libs and esd, and when you start them they start esd and the gnome libs. Galeon is one of them. What happened? I don't exactly know but I'm glad you got it working.....and you thought you were gnome/kde free because you used flux :wink: heck, you can use fluxbox as gnomes wm instead of metacity....it's just a wm.