E-mail Preference

jlc

Does anyone have a e-mail option they like better?

Evolution

Balasa

K-mail

Mozilla-Mail

Syphead

And why?

Does one use less resources than the other but still provide great functionallity?

Thank you,

I use Kmail, and have done for a quite a while now. Its simple to use/setup, and intergrates well with KDE which is what I use for my desktop. Not a huge app so doesn't need huge amounts of memory, but it has all the features I need (address book, filters, etc).

Try them all out, and see which one you prefer. Thats the thing about Linux you can choose which setup suits you.

I like using html letters, so I use evolution. KMail does not have that option. Mozilla works well, too, but it always seemed slow and cumberson to me. I would like to try Balsa, but when I use the html pages and signitures, it shows only text. I just haven't learned to use it.

Kieth

mtweidmann, you wrote that KMail can handle html documents. If I'm not mistaken, even when it is enabled, instead of showing the photos, clipart, etc, in it's proper place, they are in icon form at the bottom of the letter. It was always that way for me, which is why I switced (after I asked in this forum which e-mail program is best!!). If the html e-mails can be seen with all the pictures in their proper place, I might switch back.

Kieth

Kieth

What Kmail is doing for me is showing me the code, and then giving me the option to click on a trigger and viewing the html message in its entirety. I have it set to do this. Everything shows up where it should be. (All is well with the world!!)

Using opera 7.1 TP5 for email and usenet. Mostly because its in my fav browser and is crossplatform. But the M2 email client still needs a lot of work. Interesting thing about it is how it goes about filing emails. They all go in one mbox and M2 allows you to create "views" where you setup conditions for what you want to see in the view. Deleting the view does not delete the emails. It's virtual. Don't know if I am going to stay with it though. If I don't I'll go with Sylpheed-claws.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fat_larry

I'm definitly looking forward to getting something useful out of the mozilla Thunderbird project. If Firebird / Phoenix is anything to go by, at least. Anorexic software all the way says I!

Guest BooYah

Sylpheed/Sylpheed Claws. Small, fast, versatile, handles Japanese well. Kmail seemed kind of half-assed to me and wouldn't share emails with other clients, Evolution was buggy, bloated, and wouldn't deal with Japanese.

Using balsa2 rt now (new install) It's light, fast, and limited.

I use to use sylpheed, as ramfree17 said, supports everything- but html, and no sylpheed-claws isn't much better and is usually not stable (my experience anyway).

Used Opera's M2 for a while and will go back to it in a couple of days after I get the basics squared away on the new install.

I prefer Kmail for html, but use gnome2 now, and evolution's text is horrid, so M2 for me.

Kieth, kmail can be set to show all html parts and images at first click.

1- I don't like html for mail, think it is rude since plenty of people don't use a capable reader, and also since html mail is one gaping hole for viruses etc; maybe more on that other platform, but anyhow...

2- Warning to all:

turn off 'download embedded images' in your mailprograms.

This is THE WAY for spammers to make sure you have had and read their message, they put in a unique link to an image (this technique is called a 'beacon' if I recall correctly), and then when your mailreader downloads that, they know your address is live, ... it then goes onto the same list that your address goes on if you ever use the 'opt-out' option, namely the list of addresses that are confirmed to be correct. (and can and will therefore be sold for more money -- opting out is the way to get more spam..)

Since you didn't opt-out when your mailreader downloaded the image, your email address also stays on their own list, but they can charge more for spamming you, since it was confirmed....

To answer the topicstarters question:

I use evolution, my girlfriend uses mozilla mail (used that on win before, easy to switch; I used eudora, esp. the feature to leave messages on server and delete specific messages from the server was really cool; still haven't found that in any linux program, but can live without it now..).

I could probably live with any other program as well; I have over time used: elm (unix), pine (unix), eudora, mozilla mail, opera mail, evolution.

Pine is the best for text interface mail, esp. over slow connections; for GUI mailprograms I'd say just try and see what you like.