file permissions

Guest vs77

Guest vs77

I recently installed Mandrake 9.1. I was trying to change the permissions on the windows partitions (ntfs and vfat) so that everyone can read and execute files there. But was unable to do that. It just refuses to change the permissions

you have to change the /etc/fstab in order to affect the mounted partitiions. just search here for "fstab" and you will get a decent number of hits (hmmm, a candidate for an FAQ).

ntfs writing support for linux is still experimental. it is recommended that you dont use it unless you are a developer and/or you can risk corrupting your ntfs partition.

ciao!

Guest vs77

Could I use the same fstab file as used for 9.0 with appropriate changes or is there any other changes that have to be made?

I know about the issues with make ntfs partitions writable and dont wanna do that anyways. I just wanted to set up the permissions so that all users on the computer could read and execute files there.

Could I use the same fstab file as used for 9.0 with appropriate changes or is there any other changes that have to be made?

if your windows partition are the same as when you have 9.0 then you could use the entries related to those partitions. i highlighted that one because you might have changed your linux partitions (probably if you did not reuse your partitions).

if that was not the case then you could use them as a pattern.

ciao!

Here's a copy of my /etc/fstab file if it helps..

# Linux partitions 

/dev/hdc5 / reiserfs notail 1 1 

/dev/hdc6 swap swap defaults 0 0 

/dev/hdc7 /usr reiserfs notail 1 2 

/dev/hdc8 /home reiserfs notail 1 2 

# CD/DVD 

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdb,fs=auto,ro,user,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0 

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,user,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0 

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0 

# FAT32 partitions 

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win2k vfat user,exec,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0 

/dev/hda5 /mnt/software vfat user,exec,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0 

/dev/hda6 /mnt/windev vfat user,exec,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0 

/dev/hdc9 /mnt/wintemp vfat user,exec,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0 

/dev/hdc10 /mnt/winrip vfat user,exec,umask=0,codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1 0 0 

# Some dev 

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0 

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

Cannonfodder (or others)

I like the way you organized the fstab file into sections. It makes it easier to sort out.

Question: Does that mean it is OK to redo it like that?

I guess as long as the explanatory lines are commented out they don't figure into the mix, right? Also, is it OK to have the blank lines in between sections?

I have been studying this and see that there IS an order to the line entries that is important, though options appear to be flexible as long as the major fields are kept properly. I see LOTs of deviation in some of the posts here.

I also see that MCC does its own thing and adds "none" and other things that seem almost problem-causing at times.

HOORAY for a good FAQ on this! I must have read 50 or more posts yesterday trying to sort out a problem I was having with CDROM not working. Add to that several hours of reading Man pages and one can get terribly confused. Your fstab is much nicer to read! :)

Question:  Does that mean it is OK to redo it like that?  

I guess as long as the explanatory lines are commented out they don't figure into the mix, right?  Also, is it OK to have the blank lines in between sections?    

sure, each valid line just needs 6 sections (device, mount point, type, options, dump option, fsck option) for normal operation. if the line is commented or empty, the parser will just ignore it.

I have been studying this and see that there IS an order to the line entries that is important, though options appear to be flexible as long as the major fields are kept properly.  I see LOTs of deviation in some of the posts here.

first and foremost, you need to mount your root partition ("/"). the rest could be jumbled as long as it is logical. by logical i mean that if you have a separate partition mounted as /var/tmp (like i have) then you have to make sure that /var already exists (if its included in the root drive) or is mounted (if you have another partition mounted as /var). its the same way for /usr if / is not yet mounted. :)

I also see that MCC does its own thing and adds "none" and other things that seem almost problem-causing at times.

i think this is needed by supermount and only applies to removable media. i might be wrong though. :?

ciao!