Very new, need help installing

Guest Dirtymik

Guest Dirtymik

OK first I have downloaded mandrake 9.1 cd 1-3, the iso ones, then I Md5sumed them. They all check out fine, then I burned each one to a cd, and when I go to My computer and check D:, each one checks out fine. I went into BIOS and told it to boot from the cd first and low and behold, the comp boots up accesses the cd and then just keeps going like normal and starts up windows. What in the world am I missing, is there some secret file I need? I'm not excatly sure what a .iso file is, I know it's a mirror whatever that means. I also know that .exe, .com, .bat are the general ext needed to start something. So I need to be takin by the hand and guided through this, you can even talk dumb to me :lol: . Any help would be greatly apprecaited. Thanks.

If you don't get it working...there is a utility..I think on cd1...anyway, it' under the directory "dosutils". It's called rawwritewin.exe. Start it...I don't really knwo the layout anymore....but you have to put in a floppy(from where you'll boot)(it will be formatted!). I think You have a box with A: that good ofcourse...In the other box you have to put in the right file to write...This has to be the file located in teh directory "images".It's at the same level as "dosutils". In "images" you have to select "cdrom.img". And write....now startup your computezr and let it boot from floppy...After teh first boot, you will be asked to insert the first cd...

I use this way to install linux from harddisk...

An iso is an image. DON'T BURN IT LIKE YOU WOULD BURN ANYTHING ELSE! Depending which package you use to burn the .iso, you have to clic 'file' and then 'burn image file'. Now browse to the directory where the iso is and double clic it. That should burn the cd. Once the process is done, you should see the following files on the cd (for CD1 of MDK 9.1 here). You should not see a single .iso file !!!

COPYING

LICENSE.txt  

README.txt    

VERSION      

doc       

images    

install.htm  

live_update  

pkg-9.1-Bamboo-i586.idx

INSTALL.txt 

Mandrake     

RPM-GPG-KEYS  

autorun.inf  

dosutils  

index.htm  

isolinux     

misc

MottS' post should get you going, but if you still have problems, post what software you're trying to use to burn the iso and maybe someone can help.

This Tutorial on burning ISOs should help you figure out what you need to do in the particular software you're using. The ISO file is a "disc image" that allows you to copy a whole CD in one file, and burning it in a particular way allows you to make a CD not with just one file on it, but with all the needed files. (ie, sort of like the .bat, .exe, etc that you were thinking of). Good luck!

Guest Dirtymik

I see now, yes the files on the CD still read as mandrake9.1....iso, I am using MyCD 2.5 (HP software), I shall give it a try and see if I can do this correctly. BTW you ppl are the best, most forums I wait 2-3 days just to get one reply, and usually with just some smart comment. Thanks again I will it a try :D

My hp software didn't cut it, so if you have trouble you can download a demo for Nero that's good for 30 days. When you're done, uninstall it to stop the counter and when you need it again, get the latest version and you can use it again....and uninstall, and install...hehehe....I've done this about 4 times because my HP9100 CDWriter is a pain to get working in linux (for burning) and I'm lazy :wink:

Guest Dirtymik

Yea I tried Nero, but as soon as I went to use it, it said my trial was up. So I got the Alcohol 120% trial instead, and it worked great. The CD now boots up like it is supposed, my next prob is the partition thing. It won't resize the windows 98 part, it says it is fragmented, and i just ran speed disk so it isn't fragmented at all. I am not even sure what a partition is and how to fix it. I was going to dl a partition program off cnet, but my A: drive doesn't work (it's not the drive itself either I just put a new one in). So can I use one of the part programs and make a boot cd instead of floppy? Better yet is there some way I can use fdisk instead. I ask because I don't want to royally fudge something up. Thanks

Try using windows' defrag tool, and I would also do a thorough scandisk before resizing the partition. Set your defrag to moving programs so that they launch faster. This will make the defrag program do a clean job.

Make sure that you have room on the drive. When messing with partitions that contain data, there is always a risk of losing everything!! The last time I had a linux partition program tell me it could not resize a partition, it was because the partition contained errors. Scandisk and defrag should correct the problem.

Edit: Do not use fdisk. It is worthless and dangerous!

Have you considered purchasing a second hard drive to put linux on? If you do so, you can rest assured that your first hard drive containing windows98 will not be affected by anything you do. Otherwise, its a chance you take.. Like you I started with one drive and managed to hose my system a number of times. I know why I hosed it and can avoid it but I decided to get a second drive and feel more secure in experimenting with linux, partitions, and other projects.

Make sure that you have room on the drive. When messing with partitions that contain data, there is always a risk of losing everything!! The last time I had a linux partition program tell me it could not resize a partition, it was because the partition contained errors. Scandisk and defrag should correct the problem.

Not to make you worried...normally you don't loose data....(but defrag first ofcourse...although it probably takes long...)

Guest Dirtymik

Ok I am in thanks to all your wonderful help. Do you guys not mind the super slowness, this is about twice as slow as win 98. I mean I have a K6-2 450 MHz so it isn't that fast but this is way slower than it was before. Is there something I should do to speed it up, or is it just slow?

Ok I am in thanks to all your wonderful help.  Do you guys not mind the super slowness, this is about twice as slow as win 98.  I mean I have a K6-2 450 MHz so it isn't that fast but this is way slower than it was before.  Is there something I should do to speed it up, or is it just slow?

The speed of linux depends on the amount of programs that you have running at the same time and the free memory that is left. This is a topic that repeats from time to time (maybe we should put it in the faqs). Here are a couple of related threads (there are many more, use the search link on the top of this page to find other related posts):

Speed factor

How to optimize the system boot time

Guest Dirtymik

Well I read that you should have 256mb on RAM for good speed I got 348? (128x3, im tired hehe). As far as using the flux gui, I haven't figured anything with linux yet. I am so lost :lol: . I'll figure it out eventually (I hope). So far the only thing I'm really happy with is it hasn't crashed and this forum's teriffic support. I really can't thank all of you enough, I really apprecaite it!!! :D