Very new, need help installing

Guest Dirtymik

about the amount of ram you need it is not true that you need at least 256Mb, infact I've installed an run during a couple of months a 386 with 6Mb of ram. It is true that in order to run some decent GUI you need about 64Mb. The case of the mandrake graphical installer makes that you need even a higher amount of ram (but there is still a non-graphical installation option).

Ofcourse if you want KDE running smooth you'll need loads of virtual memory (ram + swap).

About changing the desktop manager to some lighter window manager, is easy, you just have to select the one you want when you login.

For the future, when doing an install that requires changing partitions, sometimes it's better to back up your data to CD and wipe the drive clean. Especially if Windows is starting to get flakey...

If you are familiar with DOS fdisk (*different than linux fdisk!*), use it to make a partition, and leave X gigs at the end of your drive empty for linux. When you install windows, it will only see what you partitioned for it, leaving the rest of your drive clean. Then, when you install Mandrake, simply tell it to use any unpartitioned space.

Of course, this only applies to pure windows boxes - you shouldn't have to do this unless you want to change partition sizes after an install.

As for speed? I started with MDK 8.2 on a P166 with 64 MB ram. I compiled a lot of my software to speed things up, and i used windowmaker or xfce to make things faster... kde did run, but it was really slow. At one point, I was running on only 2.7 Gb of space, but it worked :-)

I'm now on a celeron 433, with 256 MB ram. KDE runs quite nicely, and is perfectly useable. When I want to play quake, I log into failsafe, which is a console only, so Quake gets all the resources it needs.

Compared to Windows? Mandrake is infinately better at multitasking, but slower at single-tasking (if that makes any sense). Quake timedemos are virtually identical.

To make things run faster? Go to the MDK control center, and look at Drake X Services. Disable what you don't need (think like msconfig in windows). Disable graphical goodies in the KDE control center, and choose a less intense theme. Compile programs from source and optimize for your cpu/architecture. With Linux, you have the power :D!

--Andrew