Did RedHat et. al jump the gun too quickly

ral

JaseP, is correct. In general I (a trial lawyer) do all my work in Linux. But my database of cases only runs on Windows.

So while Linux has its advantages, it also as its disadvantages. Unfortuantely, some of these disavantages are show stoppers for now.

JaseP, is correct. In general I (a trial lawyer) do all my work in Linux. But my database of cases only runs on Windows.

So while Linux has its advantages, it also as its disadvantages. Unfortuantely, some of these disavantages are show stoppers for now.

Why is that? your database of cases only runs on Windows that is.

You mean a database application rather than just a database containing data?

Guest JaseP

For Lawyers, the dominant contact/case management software is either TimeMatters or AbacusLaw. Neither have a Linux client. TimeMatters works with Linux servers for holding the database files, AbacusLaw, to my knowledge, does not.

Trying to set up a generic database app to do all the things that these pieces of software do, is too time consuming and would take away from the productivity of lawyers, and/or office.

TimeMatters and AbacusLaw do the following; contact management, case flow management, document management (word processing and scanned documents), document generation (either internal or with a link to another application), time-billing (either alone or with another application).

Generic front-ends like ACT! don't have Linux clients either, and would be too difficult to develop for the law offices, even if they had Linux clients.

So, if you are a programmer, know some lawyers who would be willing to beta test for you, and want to develop a niche market, then you might want to develop a front-end, multiplatform application that will work with a MySQL data-set and do all of the things these other programs do. You might be able to make a good living doing it, if you can market it well.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/05/02/...1382077620.html

Well.. the guy creating it is in Australia, but this could be it for a linux version of legal software and database just like what you said. Since you probably know more about what you need than I do, why don't you help this guy out?

Ok a pretty big application.

Still all of that is possible using simple tools, apache/mysql(or pg)/php.

Simple enough to create invoices/documents in pdf via html forms using fpdf(simple but time consuming to make the templates). Would be cross platform too, but i can see what you mean that it would take a lot of work to get a decent app made up (word processing you would need to use something like OO).

I won't do it, ask Paul :twisted: :wink:

Guest JaseP
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/05/02/1051382077620.html

Well.. the guy creating it is in Australia, but this could be it for a linux version of legal software and database just like what you said. Since you probably know more about what you need than I do, why don't you help this guy out?

I think he is over-doing it. He doesn't need an entire specific OS. What he needs to do is create a front end for a relational database, with links to other apps such as a scanner app, a billing app and open source word processors.

• 4 months later...
Hey, watch what you say about lawyers...

I AM one,... (don't practice anymore, though, switched to financial consulting).

gloup :unsure: after all the bad things I've said about lawers.. :mystismiles:

And you are black belt ! fortunately I'm far away :?

Back to the topic, my little opinion from my little companie: There is no hurry. The switch to Linux can be done step by step. First the server(s) of course. Next the most possible free ap running on Windows so the "customers" get used of them.

The customer is always right. To change his habit he has to be forced but gently and to a system you are sure works perfectly and fits his need.

After the Linux users had reached a critical mass and are proud to be the pionners, I'm sure the rest can be very fast.

At work we have plenty of apps that work on Windows and don't have Linux equivalent. No problem. We stay Windows in this case. We are not fundamentalist. And when we would have some time we would try to make them work on Linux with an emulators.

roland