mdv2008 won't recognise USB-drive; a BIOS problem?

satelliteuser083

I have just received a USB external drive which my mdv2008 box does not recognise. Initially I thought that it was a 2008 problem, but Win 2000 doesn't recognise it either. I then tried it on a friend's XP-box, with no problems. USB works perfectly with the printer and memory-stick, BTW, so I don't think that it's a hardware problem. :unsure:

The USB-box's read-me says something like... "if it's still not working you may need to set up your BIOS". I've been into BIOS and the only thing that I can find remotely relating to USB says "Enable USB Legacy Emulation" (currently disabled). Doesn't sound the right thing to me, but has anyone else any ideas? My machine is a Tosh Sat Pro 4600. Thanks.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Initially I thought that it was a 2008 problem, but Win 2000 doesn't recognise it either. I then tried it on a friend's XP-box, with no problems. USB works perfectly with the printer and memory-stick, BTW, so I don't think that it's a hardware problem.

It's a hardware problem alright - i.e. the hardware on your mdv2008/win2K box. Legacy BIOS is for booting up with a usb mouse and keyboard and not relevant to your problem. If other usb devices are working then usb has been activated in your bios setup. Try different usb plugs with the device and see if there's any difference. Also, does this drive have a separate external power source? If not, then the drive is operating off the power from the usb plug/bus. That's very limited and hard drives are right at the maximum power threshold that usb can provide. External hard drives without external power supplies tend to behave erratically, working on some systems but not on others. Many have dual usb plugins to get more power.

Edited by pmpatrick

Well, nexus, you've hit the nail right on the head and my apologies to everyone for not thinking of it myself :woops: . It occurred to me this morning that I'd plugged the drive directly into my friend's machine, so I tried that, which worked, of course. . And thanks for the tip about the higher power requirements of external disks, pmpatrick.

Once again, my apologies to everyone, and many thanks for all of your help. :thumbs: :thumbs: