Linux gets Office XP applications/Update

Guest anon

Save money on Windows but pay for MS Office + Codeweavers...hhhmmmm.

I have been using OpenOffice for some time. If you use Linux I think might as well just stick it out with OOo too, unless you really use Powerpoint a lot.

Guest JaseP

Well, this is nice,...

But once users start using Linux, they will be more likely to look to suites like StarOffice and OpenOffice for their word processing, and spreadsheet needs. Currently with StarOffice 6.2, I can do just about anything I wanted to accomplish under Word for Windoze 95 (sometimes differently, and sometimes better), which is what I was using before switching to Linux.

I think we still need a more publicity on the state of Linux now. If more and more people realized what Linux was capable of, more would switch. Too many people take for grated that Windoze is all that is out there. A lot of people I talk to about computers don't even realize that there is an alternative to Micro$haft on the PC.

I think most of the newbies would be looking for Office vs learning a new package. Plus many would be concerned with compatibility (real or otherwise :) ) and again feel more secure with an office product on a linux platform.. Really, between office and a browser/email, that is 95% of the average users requirements..

And once this mode of operating MS products get's too popular or looks like it might...money bags Bill will buy Codeweavers, and the rest will be history...

The amount of quality software has always been the bugbare of the Linux Desktop. Software giants need to be persuaded to make versions for the Linux desktop. Just imagine how many people would switch to Linux if say, Adobe said next week they were bringing out Photoshop 8 for Linux.

I've not used openoffice much, but I tried it out a little bit and like it...

I really look forward to 1.1, because of the many new features and enhancements(also datbase..with MySQL, but don't know the exact features of this). I think if many users saw openoffice and the capabilities it offers...a lot of users would be convinced..(ok, office-format can be better, but send it in pdf..everybody can read that, if you need to send in office-format...weel it's getting better...:))(Certainly at our university they teach you to take care that everyone can read the message...Ok, office is a format and has to be supported)

Personally, I like the export-function to pdf...you can't do that in Office(as far as I know)!

Currently, vendors don't write Linux versions of their software because not enough people use it (or so they think). Currently, people are afraid to start using it because vendors don't write Linux versions of their software. It's a vicious circle. I think being able to run Windows apps on Linux will help convince a lot more people to switch. This is why the Wine project was started. Granted, they should use Linux applications instead of Windows applications, but sometimes, there are just one or two programs that are only written for Windows that someone justs prefers the way they work, regardless of whether it is truly superior or just simply because it's what they used for a long time. Plus, some people have already invested money in Windows software, Linux would be more attractive if they don't have to learn all new applications once they start using Linux. As for myself personally, I have a mix of Windows and Linux applications thanks to Crossover Office. It's not because Linux apps suck, it's because I've just grown accustomed to a few Windows programs, and I would just like to keep using them.

If enough people use the Windows version of a program on Linux, then it would entice developers to write a native Linux version. Unless the program is no longer actively developed, in which case Wine and its deviants will still be necessary.

Of course there's also the argument that if a program runs perfectly in Wine, it would entice the developers to not bother with a native version. This might be true, in the short term. But in the long term, as Linux continues its exponential growth, I think vendors will find it to their advantage to create a native port for Linux, since they will see an increasing user base on Linux. Especially with all of the open-source/free alternatives out there, they need to be able to compete with the alternatives.

Guest fubar::chi
Save money on Windows but pay for MS Office + Codeweavers...hhhmmmm.

I have been using OpenOffice for some time. If you use Linux I think might as well just stick it out with OOo too, unless you really use Powerpoint a lot.

Actually i have used OO.o presenter and it's quite functional. You have to do somethings in a few more steps (and probably search the OO.o forums to find out how) but it can still be done. Databases however ...

Check this out. shameless slicker plug. Made with OO.o. real thing (presentation) looks even better. And the templates were made by this guy on the OO.o forums

I've read that openoffice is going to support databases like MysQL,...(?). But I don't know the details about this..It should lreadybe present in 1.1 I think...I thought it also supports offices acces databses, but I am not sure about this...

CrossOver works nice when you use Exchange servers and are forced to use programs like outlook. I use Linux on my work desktop because I don't care for windows and nobody knows the difference if I can get my job done.

:oops:

Guest c_m_f

the only progs i run in wine are winMX and kazaa as there just isnt a replacement in linux, limewire is always droping teh transfer and not many files. and i dont like dc!