Mounting a samba share as a normal user

phunni

I have a samba share set up and working and included in my /etc/fstab

I would like to be able to mount this share as a normal user and also to be able to read/write to it.

At present I can only mount it as root and it is read only.

The entry in /etc/fstab is as follows:

//livingstone/C /mnt/livingstone smbfs user,credentials=/etc/samba/auth.livingstone.paul 0 0

Any suggestions anyone?

Hi phunni

Add rw in the options so that you get read and write access to the share. For the 'mounting as a normal user question' I'm lost... you already wrote user which mean that the share is mountable as a normal user. What is credentials=/etc/samba/auth.livingstone.paul for?

HTH

MOttS

Why don't you just set up LinNeighborhood to browse windows share. There is minimal setup. Choose your workgroup and your defsult user and thats about it. The smb client will scan for the shares in the workgroup as soon as you open LinNeighborhood. It is really easy.

I used to use Xsmbrowser but I like Lin better. It is installed by default with 9.1

I used to use LinNeighborhood to browse shares - but thought it would be easier if I could just have it done transparently behind the scenes.

I have added rw to the entry in /etc/fstab and it doesn't appear to have made any difference. Also, I still cannot mount or unmount the share as a normal user regardless of whether I include the credentials or not