TNT2 graphic card is slower then winxp

Guest killogge

Guest killogge

hey,

I'm kinda new to linux, and I've racked my brains over this problem :cry: .....I have a compaq computer 1GHZ intel CPU, 512 memory, TNT2 video card, and dual booted with winxp and mandrake 8.2 (need to update I know)...k?

My problem is windows runs NWN great...but linux is really slow :cry: , I almost can't play it....If any more info is needed, I try to give, but like I said, I'm really new to linux. Thanx!! :)

I'm guessing you still using the default drivers. The Nvidia drivers that come with Mandrake are open source and not all that good. They're a bit like the generic drivers that come with Windows, ok but not really that good. You'll need to install Nvidia's own drivers fo decent results. There's plenty of posts on the forum to tell you how.

The Nvidia drivers that come with Mandrake are open source and not all that good.
Sounds as if they are not good because the drivers are open source. The reality is very different. If NVIDIA does not release the specs of their hardware (or develop open source driver themselves), open source drivers will always suffer.

Guest JaseP

Welcome killogge,...

I see you made it here from the NWN forums.

You noticed the first responses to your post were within a half-hour of your initial post?!?!

Your OpenGL implementation is probably wrong.It's probably what mtweidmann says. To do a real simple benchmark, open a command-line shell, type in glxgears and tell us what the output says. Your numbers "should" be around 250 - 320 fps with a setup like you have. If it's less, we can have you run more specific benchmarks, but I'm guessing that you are not running an accelerated driver. I also recall from your post on the NWN forum that you were using XFree86 version 3.X.X instead of 4.X.X. You need to change that in order to run OpenGl acceleration. You may need to switch to a runlevel 3 using the init 3 command (while logged on as root), and then run XFdrake, and sellect the XFree86 version 4.X.X with hardware acceleration. After that, you'll need to install the nVidia drivers (not the DRI drivers that set up by default), and then adjust your XF86Config-4 file.

Dolson's site is a good place to start.

Guest killogge

OMG :shock:

That driver helped out ALOT!!!! I tried the glxgears in KDE before i messed with anything and got 100 and lower fps....I had a couple problems with the new driver for some reason, but i some how fixed them, :) I tried NWN after I updated the drivers.....OMG! I never thought NWN could look so good!!! Boy am I gonna have fun :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanx alot guys!!

Guest JaseP
OMG :shock:  

... I tried NWN after I updated the drivers.....OMG! I never thought NWN could look so good!!! Boy am I gonna have fun  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: Thanx alot guys!!

And now you know why we Linux propeller-heads are so adamant about the fact that Linux IS a desktop and gaming system...

...Framerates of 20% on average above the Windoze framerates on the same hardware, and MORE STABILITY.

Now you just have to convince your friends to start adopting Linux... If we build our user base, developers will start releasing for it.

[steps of of soapbox]

I'm glad we can help you out. I anticipate that you can optimize your OpenGL set-up even more, like setting the AGP rate and further tweaking your XF86Config-4 file for maximum performance. The nice thing is that you can upgrade that ancient TNT2 card to a more modern GeForce (2,3 or 4) without having to do very much in the way of changes to your configuration.

I have to response on the fact that the opensource-drivers are worse than the nvidia ones...

the opensource ones can only(for now) support 2d accell, but they are more stable and to mu opinion ( and at least somebody else on the nvidsia-forum) as fast, if not faster than the commercial ones..If there is an opensource driver with 3d accell in teh future, I'll sureley trty out/use that one..

Guest JaseP

An open source driver for nVidia that supported full 3D accel would be great, and IMHU better than their own implementations,... but you've got to understand that it will almost never happen. because nVidia's technology implementation is a joint hardware and software thing. They won't release the hardware specs that would make the drivers possible because to do so would mean that they expose some of their intellectual property to other companies. So, if you use nVidia products, you had just better be content in using the closed sourse drivers for any forseeable future.